Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Tiny support joints already?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Maras, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Maras

Maras

If I create joints as in ECS Samples, I can't make it work inside of the subscene.

If I put it outside of the scene with ConvertToEntity script, it works in the editor, but not during DOTS runtime.

Should I be able to use joints in Tiny already? If so, can you please give me a hint?

2. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

Hi! Can you please provide some more info?
    1. When you say you "create joints as in ECS Samples", are you copying/pasting some of the samples scripts here, or somehow creating your own authoring components?
    2. Can you verify whether your subscene-based setup works when you build a regular desktop standalone player?
    3. What specifically happens in your failing use case? Is there an error message, do the constraints do nothing, or does their behavior look wrong?

3. Maras

Maras

Yes, I pretty much just copied parts of the ECS samples from GitHub.

I think I got a bit confused and messed up the setup. On a second try, it is clear that it requires hybrid packages >> So it is not possible to reuse for Tiny without modifications yet. Sorry about that.

About ConvertToEntity - All objects I create with this component outside of the DOTS subscene are not there during runtime. TinyRacing is using ConvertToEntity for DisplayInfo singleton though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  4. gwenaelle_unity

gwenaelle_unity

Unity Technologies

In Tiny we don't convert scenes but just subscenes for now. So anything outside a subscene even with a ConvertToEntity component will not be converted

Maras likes this.
  5. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

Well, the conversion systems require hybrid assemblies, yes, but there are joints in the run-time, which should in theory be compatible with DOTS Run-Time (aka Tiny). So if these are in a sub-scene I would still expect them to work.

Maras likes this.
  6. Maras

Maras

It still acts the same way in Editor/DOTS runtime:

If the object with the joint is in subscene, it acts like the joint is not there - same with Editor/runtime.

If I copy-paste these two objects outside and add ConvertToEntity, it works as expected in Editor. (not in runtime, but that part is clear)

Not sure what am I missing.

zhxhome likes this.
  7. zhxhome

zhxhome

I encountered the exact same problem as you。In a normal DOTS project,Joint work good outside the sub-scene. Once placed, the sub-scene will fail.

8. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

Hi! I assume you are trying with the latest version of Unity physics (0.3.1-preview) and its samples? Are there any conversion errors reported?