Search Unity

Does this small thing about Unity Hub on Mac drive anyone else crazy?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by edwon, Nov 26, 2020.

1. edwon

edwon

Does this drive anyone else crazy?

When using the Unity Hub on Mac, if you hide it, and then alt tab over to another app, and then alt tab back to Unity Hub, it doesn't appear!

On Mac OS X, basically every single app will reappear after hiding and then alt tabbing away and then back again, but Unity Hub does not! You have to click on the dock icon to make the actual UI of the app appear again.

This small thing drives me crazy. I hope there's other people out there who feel the same so that Unity changes it!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  2. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

Yes.

Absolutely maddening.

It also hides itself when you open a project.

It's like the Unity developers of the Mac version have never used a Mac.

How do we get this fixed?

To explain a bit more:
    1. Launch Unity Hub.
    2. Select Project.
    3. Unity is launched.
    4. Quit Unity.
    Unity Hub is now the active application, but no window is shown. For no apparent reason, the Unity Hub window is closed when you select a project, but the application is left open.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Interesting, because if memory serves, Unity originally was a Mac only product.
    Everything described in both of these posts also applies to the Windows version. When you launch a project which opens the Editor, it seems to close the Hub the same as if you hit the X in the corner to close it. It can't be opened via alt-tab even though it remains running. You can open it again from the system tray.

Though on Windows if you click minimize, instead of either hitting the X or launching the Editor by opening a project, then you can alt-tab to it.
    I'm pretty sure the reason the Hub stays running is because the Hub is key to the Editor licensing system starting with Unity version 2019.1.0.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

The Unity Hub has been a ceaseless source of developer irritation since its first conception, and the above issue is merely one of the many ways it falls flat on its face every single day.

For instance, I have four Unity projects open. I go to the hub to click on project X.

Quite helpfully the Unity hub warns me "You have project X open already!"

Completely uselessly and obstinately, Unity hub FAILS to open that project for me, letting me guess between which of the four tiny logos in my launcher / taskbar might be the one I want.

If I open something called "Unity Hub" and I select a project, is there really ANY other possible use I could have besides launching the %#$^#^##$ project that I just clicked on?!!!

Same goes for Visual Studio: It used to tell me which project I was attaching to, but I guess that was too useful, so it has now been removed and instead offers me:

Attach to process:

1234 Unity
    2345 Unity
    3456 Unity
    4567 Unity

There used to be (ProjectName) in parenthesis after each one, but those glory days are over now.

Completely %#$%#^#^$# brainless and almost demonically irritating.

It's almost like the dev team isn't even using their product!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I resisted doing anything in 2019.x or higher for a year, just so I don't even need to have Unity Hub installed.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

Somehow, knowing that you're not alone makes this ever to slightly more bearable.

Kurt-Dekker and Joe-Censored like this.