Search Unity

Does the URP intend to replace the default rendering system?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Crayz, May 2, 2020.

1. Crayz

Crayz

I'm just curious if URP intends to completely replace the default rendering system at some point in time? I'm not sure why I switched to it in the first place and it's giving me various issues with asset bundles, lighting, and transparency, so I am considering switching back to the default and save the headache.

2. bluescrn

bluescrn

Basically every part of 'Unity Classic' is in the process of being replaced by newer systems, with an emphasis on performance (but at the cost of Unity's traditional ease-of-use, it seems...)

It's clear that the 'classic' render pipelines are on their way out eventually, otherwise Shader Graph would have supported them. But the question is how many years/releases they will live on for - right now, they're still the best option for many projects, if only because many people know how to use them very effectively and know exactly how to create custom shaders for them, and so on. I suspect that they'll still be around for a quite a long time.

URP and HDRP are still unknowns for many, and just browsing the forums has often revealed that there's still showstopping issues/limitations for many projects.

Crayz likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes it is going to be officially replacing the built-in renderer as the default option, once data shows Unity that's the right time to do so.

This does not mean they'll remove the built-in renderer though, and not for a long time. So there's no worry about anything. I've switched fully to URP and HDRP, I will never use the builtin rendererer again.

URP works differently to built-in renderer so expect to change what you do if you stack multiple cameras, change all the settings etc, I recommend URP for new projects and only with assets guaranteed to work for it.

So assets can be a problem if you rely on them.