Search Unity

Does the unity manual have a dark mode?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by MarkSharpe, Nov 6, 2021.

1. MarkSharpe

MarkSharpe

I keep looking up things in the manual but it doesn't seem to have a dark mode. I'm using Windows 10 - Microsoft Edge.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

There's a Documentation forum here. You can also use this link which shows you all the forums when posting.

I'll move your post there for you.

There is no Dark Mode in the docs right now AFAIK but maybe in the future. Only way I know is to use an extension in your browser to try to achieve this. I personally prefer dark mode for everything or at least, not full white.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Windows 11 has contrast themes (you can make your own custom theme) which seem to work well with most websites.

234.jpg

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Nice to know but changing your OS is a bit of a brutal change for this. :)

Deleted User likes this.
  5. acatalept

acatalept

I highly recommend the open source Dark Reader addon (available for Edge, as well as Chrome, Firefox, Safari):

https://darkreader.org/

Many "dark" modes/themes are IMHO very hard on the eyes, with high contrast white/colors on completely black background. Dark Reader lets you customize this to your liking, so you can have a nice deep gray with low contrast text, for example with the Scheme set to "Dark" and both Brightness and Contrast set to 70%:

Worth spending a few minutes learning about and customizing to your liking...

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I gave this a spin this morning and it works well on Firefox. The only downside to the forums is that it makes the toolbar icons on the forum text editor hard to read but that's a small thing.

7. Kamyker

Kamyker

Why some languages have dark mode but English doesn't?!

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I'm curious, how did you select the dark mode for that page? I wasn't aware that this was something the docs team had done.

9. Kamyker

Kamyker

Changed language to Chinese in upper right. By default they have dark mode, English light mode.

MelvMay likes this.