Search Unity

Does the Unity forum enforce a CAPTCHA for logging in?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by JesseSTG, Nov 17, 2020.

1. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

I'm setting up an automated build pipeline for my project. Part of this process includes provisioning a VM with the necessary software.

There's an important piece of software I need that can only be obtained through a link on a private subforum, as opposed to a package registry or special installer. So I figured I'd write a script to log in with my forum credentials, navigate to this private subforum, and download the latest version of the particular software I need.

But before I bother, I want to ensure that this is possible. Does the Unity forum have any kind of mechanism for preventing bots or scripts from logging in? If so, I'll have to think of some other solution.

2. M_R

M_R

I don't think it's a good idea to scrape forum posts inside a build pipeline, considering that both the page html and the post content can change anytime and break your script.

you should put the direct link in the script (pointing to specific release, or you can ask the publisher to provide a link to "latest") and update it manually, or download it to a location you control (either use cloud storage or setup your own registry) and use that.