Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Standalone Input Module support local multiplayer (multiple joysticks)?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by hovio, Oct 1, 2014.

1. hovio

hovio

I am probably just missing something simple and this can already done with the Standalone Input Module. However if I am not, will Unity provide a Multiplayer Input Module in a future/final build of 4.6? Creating this type of module would seem to be beyond beginner coder level (as in an artist’s knowledge) since it would probably require multiple Current Selectable Objects, and possibly multiple First Selected Objects and multiple Navigation Systems.

After doing some searching on the web and forums, I have seen two web questions regarding this, but there are no answers yet.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/779823/unity-46-ui-multiple-joysticks.html

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/796483/how-do-i-make-it-so-two-players-can-control-indivi.html

In the forums there is this post in the “Unity Forms - Unity Community Support - Developer Preview 4.6 Beta - Racast into GUI?” hinting that maybe creating your own Input Module is the way to handle this, but this seem strange because this would require coder sill level that is beyond most casual user.

One of the main marketing points regarding this uGUI system that I have seen has been its ease of use for non-coders. As I stated at the beginning of this post, hopefully, I have missed something simple.

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, we would like to add something like this to the UI system, but we won't be doing it for 4.6. There are too many dependent things (how you configure your input manager, how the input system is configured, if you want to do custom handling of input events). We will probably add something like this when we (eventually) get a new input system into unity.

3. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

Any updates on that?

4. albertjames

albertjames

+1 .. 2014, still no easy way to do split screen. Or to manage common controllers..