Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the ProBuilder component on gameobjects affect game performance?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by FrogSkull, Sep 13, 2018.

1. FrogSkull

FrogSkull

Would it be mandatory to export all probuilder objects to improve performance?
    How to do in cases where there is an interior of a complex level that could require constant changes during development?

marcospgp likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Nope, the component just stores mesh data for use in Unity, and is automatically stripped from the object on build, just to be sure :)

(note: if you want your players to make use of ProBuilder editing features, you can tell PB to leave that component on there, and make use of the PB API! :) )

3. FrogSkull

FrogSkull

Fine! Thank you.
    I could achieve this by digging into the Probuilder classes, I suppose. Keep it in the build and make it a feature for the players as well. Both via code, right?

4. sebas77

sebas77

Hello,

I tried to create prefab from a gameobject with probuilder cube, but every time is instanced, it creates a different mesh instead to reuse one. How can I avoid this? I thought stripping out the pro builder script would have done the trick, but instead the mesh disappear in this way.

dimmduh1 likes this.
  5. zahidur59

zahidur59

I have the same problem like sebas77. When I try to create a prefab with objects that have PB components, some of the materials reverts back to PBs default materials! Any workaround?

6. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

If you want to create a prefab without the ProBuilderMesh component, you need to use the Export action to create an asset.

7. molana

molana

Hello, This is Mola,

I have an important question about using pro builder in unity. I would greatly appreciate if you help me. My question is how can i add a vertex to a face of one shape when i am using pro builder? is there any way to add a vertex to a face by writing API code? (Assum that adding vertex will result in new faces in the first face)

Best Regards,
    Mola

8. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

9. Rosati16

Rosati16

I had this question as well because it felt like my computer was slowing down when I had all my objects as ProBuilder objects rather than exported models. Once I exported everything it felt like my computer was able to process things quicker; could have easily been something else though.