Search Unity

Does the new terrain support holes?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by pointcache, Nov 18, 2018.

1. pointcache

pointcache

I need proper holes, not just a shader, collision mesh hole. So it can support proper navmesh and so on.
    This must be something that was asked for years, right?

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

It was mentioned somewhere that this is planned to come in one of the next versions (i think it was one of the unite talks)

pointcache likes this.
  3. awesomedata

awesomedata

I wonder if the terrains with holes will be editable with polybrush as if they were regular meshes?

4. sharkapps

sharkapps

Terrain holes won't be available until 2019.x per R&D Roadmap session at Unite LA 2018.

5. muzboz

muzboz

Would definitely be cool to be able to make caves and things. Good stuff.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm hoping the support for holes are genuine ones - that is physics + particle collisions and the likes will pass through it.

7. ChrisTchou

ChrisTchou

Unity Technologies

Terrain Holes are nearly done, but the window for 2019.1 is closing, so we're looking at 2019.2.
    This is full-featured holes: they modify physics, collision, visibility, navmesh, lightmap baking / GI, trees and grass; in addition to the rendering of course.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I actually felt that it wouldn't be because I've dabbled with physx API - it's not exactly a trivial thing... so well done you lot. Hows you do it, move away from heightfields to mesh?

9. Flavelius

Flavelius

While you're at it, please fix the triangle winding (to zigzag) for better collisions and shading. That would make the terrain finally viable for me (*prettyplease*).

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Neither of those matter though. It does per-pixel shading and if you look at physics options you have the control over terrain collision in there...

11. awesomedata

awesomedata

Seconded, this question, @ChrisTchou -- are these standard meshes, or are they perhaps 3d vector displacement maps (a la zbrush) converted to meshes?

It sure would be nice to use polybrush on mesh terrains with actual overhangs. Instancing terrain meshes via GPU would be possible with this displacement method too...

phobos2077 likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I was merely talking about the physx geometry, not what's rendered, to clarify... not important :)

13. Flavelius

Flavelius

For a moment, when i read this, i hoped that i really might have missed something. But then i re-opened 2018.3 just to find that nothing changed:
    Clipboard01.jpg
    But maybe you mean something else.
    (This is what i mean: https://forum.unity.com/threads/terrain-bad-subdivision.166891/, sharp cliffs in not highly tesselated terrains are not really feasible because of the triangles being aligned in one direction only instead of alternating for example as in the diamond square algorithm) It's such a minor change, but a worthy one.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  14. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Holes alone, even if they're "real" fully functional holes, only solve half of the problem. The other half is caves and overhangs, which still won't work due to the top down projection limitation of standard terrains. Without going to 3d voxel or mesh based terrains, it will still be difficult to produce scenes like these for instance:

Tianmen_Mountain.jpg Wulingyuan.jpg Glen_Canyon.jpg Andalusia_Algarve_Testata_0.jpg

I'd like to see more integration between meshes and terrains - being able to designate a mesh as part of a terrain set, and use the same texture and planting tools on both to allow seamless blending.

wyattt_, mgsvevo, Mauri and 3 others like this.
  15. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Have you try increasing the heightmap resolution?

16. Flavelius

Flavelius

That's like saying if my lowpoly game doesn't look correct, i have to go for highpoly instead of fixing it. It's a choice to have a less tesselated terrain, but to be forced to increase the resolution as a compensation mechanism, when the fix is not too complex and probably wont even have any sideeffects just feels unnecessary. In my case, i don't want the look of highly subdivided, round terrain, but ideally use all the benefits of having a terrain (and not have to resort to meshes).

phobos2077 likes this.
  17. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

This is really good news and should be just perfect for the tool I'm working on: https://forum.unity.com/threads/sim...errains-soon-to-be-on-the-asset-store.587803/

Some people told me that my tool will be useless "as the new terrain system will have caves built-in", but my understanding is that you will only provide the possibility to make clean holes, not the possibility to sculpt cave mesh at the same time. Am I right? Please let me know if my tool will still be useful with the new terrain system or if I should just abandon it. :confused:

phobos2077 and Teila like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think the holes support is likely to be just removal of geometry and updating relevant systems so your system would appear to be a good companion for that.

This is because logically, Unity can't assume what would be within that hole from game to game.

Amandin-E and Teila like this.
  19. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Indeed Unity can’t assume what we want to do behind the holes. As you said, my tool would just be a nice companion for that feature as it would allow people to quickly create natural caves/overhangs without the need to use a modeling software. But of course this won’t be useful for someone who wants to create an artificial road tunnel for example.
    Just wanted to be sure I’m not doing this for nothing :)

overthere and Teila like this.
  20. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

@ChrisTchou @hippocoder
    Hi! Any news of the future terrain hole feature? Is it still planed for Unity 2019.2?

It's too bad the Unity roadmap doesn't have any entry concerning the new terrain system BTW

MegamaDev and awesomedata like this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No idea, I guess now they're done with shadow moon getting out of bed and scratching his nuts + the latest raytraced cars, we may see some trenches stuff everyone actually NEEDS like holes, vegetation rendering.

(I loved the demos but we are hurting for terrain improvements, frankly).

phobos2077, Amandin-E and awesomedata like this.
  22. LostTemptation

LostTemptation

Are there any News regarding Terrain Holes? Does not seem that even 2019.3 has anything new about it. ;(

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It will be in alpha 6 last I heard, just be patient.

24. nobluff67

nobluff67

25. Horus_Sungod42

Horus_Sungod42

Hello, I downloaded the alpha 8, and the paint hole option is indeed there, but it does nothing.

Left clicking on the terrain, with a 100% opacity brush, in Paint Hole mode, does not work.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

(This happens with a terrain created in that version, and a terrain with or without being created from a heightmap)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  26. ChrisTchou

ChrisTchou

Unity Technologies

What platform are you on? Using LWRP or HDRP (if so, what version?)

27. razzraziel

razzraziel

upload_2019-9-4_7-32-23.png

GPU still draws extra tessellation vertices on Terrain Holes? So its working more like an alpha channel. What is the cost of these?

28. Flavelius

Flavelius

As far as i understood the videos these are real holes, including physics etc.

wyattt_ likes this.
  29. razzraziel

razzraziel

yes collision meshes updates correctly but i can clearly see tessellated unnecessary vertices.

30. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

physics, navmesh, etc work correctly but regarding the rendering itself, yes this is just transparency in shader, controlled by a new property called _TerrainHolesTexture.
    (please let me know if I'm wrong)

wyattt_ likes this.
  31. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Also, unless I missed something, this is not supported by LWRP/URP yet.
    I'm testing right now with Unity 2019.3 beta 1 and URP 7.0.1 and I can't paint holes to the terrain (it does nothing).
    Did I miss something?

32. andrei-farkas-arnia

andrei-farkas-arnia

It seems you have to use the Standard rendering path (no LWRP or HDRP) to actually see the holes. Otherwise they will not be visible. But I am really disappointed about how they look. The holes are obtained be removing terrain polygons, no smoothing added. This cannot be used in a real game/project, I hope they will improve the looks, otherwise it's kinda useless.

33. Flavelius

Flavelius

It's not useless, that's the way it's typically done for reasons. You wouldn't use a raw hole in the terrain in a real game anyway, but build a cave/tunel/etc into it.

Amandin-E likes this.
  34. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Just so you know, I updated Digger and Digger PRO to use this new feature with Untiy 2019.3 and by the way I added hole support to LWRP and URP.
    But even without Digger, it looks like you'll get it working soon thanks to this commit that was merged on master: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/3106f8376c8667a6b083be120ef8ea2bd62d8a96

JAMiller likes this.