Search Unity

Does the game industry need a Crash investigation team?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

That's not an argument.

I'm well read too. But, "i've read a bunch of stuff and I have a general sense that you are wrong" is kind of a waste of words.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes it is? You're treating your own personal experience like it can be literally applied to anyone else when there's loads of evidence stating that the outlier is you.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, you don't have to be smart, but you definitely do need to have the means to achieve your goal and hard work is not always going to be that means.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Persistence and humility is the most reliable means to achieve your goals.

Maybe you make a wrong choice. Maybe you just get unlucky. S*** happens. But you do the best you can with what you got, you don't waste energy, you dont wallow, feeling sorry for yourself, you don't give in to petty S*** like jealousy or cynicism... you don't need to know jack about economics to get yourself out of a hole.

5. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Getting out of a hole is not really what this is about though. Not getting into a hole while others in the industry laugh into the sunset with millions of dollars off the back of your hard work is the point of this thread is it not?

I'm going to have to call it quits here guys. it's been fun. but if I'm going to keep myself and future employees fed I'm going to have to do some work. catch you later.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I dunno.

But murgilod takes the progressive argument too far, and needs a counter-weight.

Other people take the conservative argument too far.

Both sides are too stubborn.

My point is, if you want to make change happen, if your life or in other peoples, you have to have clear goals, you have to have persistence, and you have to be humble. The preface to every clever thought you think must be "I don't know."

Study and research and accolades means nothing. If you can't change a persons mind, then you must not know the truth. Because when people hear the truth, it cannot be ignored. So if you are making the same argument over and over and nobody is listening, it's time to go back to the drawing board.

Furthermore, even if you are on the side of "good," if you make a bad argument for it too loud and too often, you hurt the cause. So choose your battles. Know when to back out, and try from a different angle in the future. If you make enemies, you'll fight forever. If you make enemies into friends, you'll conquer the world.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Also, if you've got a ton of knowledge about complex socio-economic issues and you are full of passion about it... you need to consider taking one for the team and getting involved in your community. Local or national politics. Especially female voices -- in america this perspective is sorely needed.

If that seems totally out of the question -- then it's a waste of time and energy to get worked up about things you cannot or will not work to change.

All the time Obama is telling young people : dont get cynical. Get involved in society. And what do people do? They get cynical and the hide in their holes, expecting things to change.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

You're acting like I'm not.

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Are you running for a public office?

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm heavily involved with local political parties to help with canvassing, I'm (obviously) a pro-union advocate, and I help organise book exchanges and provide time to various pro-labour volunteer groups.

That basically takes up all the time I don't spend working or doing dev work.

neoshaman likes this.
  11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Great job. I'm very pleased to hear this.

Just remember, a wealth of knowledge isn't worth anything if you cannot pass it on to others. So if you are trying hard to pass on your knowledge but it's not getting received.... try another way.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Honestly who cares what 'ordinary life is like'. Humanity has been working for the past 100,000+ years to move individual members out of subsistence living. The base line is not 'humanity without 100,000+ years of technological development'. The baseline is 'humanity today in a reasonably stable city'. That's where we are starting from.

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closing for completely obvious reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.