Search Unity

Does the 2020.2 Editor run natively on Apple silicon / M1?

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by DreamPower, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

See reply above.

2. bricefr

bricefr

I am having a hard time finding the information (neither on this forum nor on YT or so): is there any *native* M1 Unity version out there, being ready - or at least usable - for serious work? Could somebody who owns a M1 publish some updated feedbacks on this? It would be awesome.

3. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

As of Unity 2021.2.0a13, the latest version at the time I'm writing this, no, there is no native M1 version. However, Unity runs remarkably well even through Rosetta. I've actually seen improvements with my M1 Mac mini over my 2019 i9 MacBook Pro.

4. bricefr

bricefr

Thanks for your feedback, good to know. Two questions tho, comparatively to your MBP Core i9 how are your Mini M1 performances regarding:
    - rendering (FPS gain/loss for eg)
    - script compilation time (because as far as I know it seems the dotnet compiler isn't ARM native yet as well)
    - if you happen to know: does the GPU lightmapper works?

Would help a lot to know this :)

AvoCavo likes this.
  5. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Seems I'm actually wrong! I guess the M1 just feels faster because it doesn't sound like a jet engine about to take off and isn't as hot as the surface of the sun.

Here are some times from a small-mid size project. Keep in mind I have no idea how to get "proper" times. I just used the stopwatch on my phone and the Stats tab in Unity.

2019 MacBook Pro 15" w/ Intel i9 32GB + AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
    - Open Project: ~13.03 seconds
    - Recompile Code w/ asmdefs: ~7.18 seconds
    - Enter Play Mode (no options): ~4.21 seconds
    - Enter Play Mode (with options): ~0.77 seconds
    - Gameplay, ~71.7k tris @ 720p
    - CPU: ~10.0 ms
    - GPU: ~2.0 ms

2020 Mac mini w/ Apple Silicon M1 16GB
    - Open Project: ~13.96 seconds
    - Recompile Code w/ asmdefs: ~14.56 seconds
    - Enter Play Mode (no options): ~8.21 seconds
    - Enter Play Mode (with options): ~0.76 seconds
    - Gameplay, ~71.7k tris @ 720p
    - CPU: ~12.1 ms
    - GPU: ~1.3 ms

No clue about the GPU lightmapper, sorry! I'd assume the performance to be about the same based on my tests, but definitely wait for someone who knows how to record stats properly.

6. bricefr

bricefr

Awesome! Great for your metrics and thank you so much for the time you took to produce help.

Actually it helps a lot, it really seems like it all come from the .NET compiler (recompile + entering play mode) because the rest of the differences seem acceptable. But unfortunately it seems we still have to wait some months before Unity get there.

2021 is a bit dark for us indie game devs who want to work on macOS: no complete and acceptable Unity M1 support (till the end of the year I guess) and the future of Unreal Engine on this platform seems doomed as well (given the relations between Epic and Apple). I guess we have to keep programming on Windows/Linux machines for a while >_>

Thanks again for your time and feedbacks!

7. el_Guero

el_Guero

Only but big enough reason to not buy any M1 Mac right now. I was looking forward for the 32 inch iMac or the 16 inch Mac Book Pro. But we need that official Unity support.

That’s a bit of an unfair comparison. Pro model vs consumer device…

8. bricefr

bricefr

I ended up buying a M1-based setup and I must say it does run fine - even through Rosetta, the Unity process is flagged as Intel architecture in the macOS task manager. Even tho, for the kind of games we work on, it's smooth and fast enough, no problem. Also to mention that Rider is still on Intel architecture as well - IntelliJ is Apple Silicon enabled tho. Seems to me those are the .NET dependencies which aren't fully M1 compliant yet.

Regarding launch time (play mode), go to Project Settings / Editor and check "Enter Play Mode Options" (keep the reload checkboxes unchecked) and the Unity editor will enter the play mode is less than a second.

unityunity