Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the 2020.2 Editor run natively on Apple silicon / M1?

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by DreamPower, Nov 11, 2020.

1. DreamPower

DreamPower

I see this in the release notes:
    macOS: Added support for native Apple silicon and macOS Universal 2 builds.

Is that just in builds / the Unity Player, or is the editor itself a native M1 or Universal app?

2. Foriero

Foriero

Where is Unity with Apple Silicon M1 for macOS Player?

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

And to answer the original question: no, the editor does not run natively yet. But we are working on it.

5. valakot

valakot

Does it mean that we might expect it on iPad OS at some point in the future?

Magasenakwa and ve03vsx like this.
  6. dwarfengine

dwarfengine

That is something else entirely. They would have to rewrite the entire UI, add a code editor or something and much more. Plus, I don't even know Apple fully allows compiling code on iPadOS.

georgeneversleep likes this.
  7. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Rumors says that iOS 14.2 starts to allow JIT compilation (quietly). The article below claimed that JIT is only for side-loaded apps, but given that no apps on App Stores have ever used JIT because previous iOS simply couldn't, it only remains for Apple to approve JIT apps to be published on App Store.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/06/ios-...h-enables-emulation-apps-at-full-performance/

What this means is that potentially Unity could compile your C# scripts into an JIT assembly and load it on iOS. (like any other editor platform). But even if this is resolved, they still need to resolve their third-party dependencies, since iOS ABI is different from macOS ABI so even if those dependencies are recompile for ARM, they would not automatically work on iOS. And Unity still needs to build UI for touch controls, etc.

But here's the thing: with Mac products moving to ARM chips, and iOS apps running natively on macOS Big Sur, the boundaries have been blurred significantly. iPad, being a more portable form-factor, would likely never be as powerful as the latest Macs. If you need Unity to work on iPad, you might as well buy a Mac.

8. AkvatGames

AkvatGames

Do you have a potential ETA on when this would land, or a comparison of how Unity runs through Rosetta 2 possibly?

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We haven't received new hardware unfortunately so I can't comment on performance yet.

Native editor is a huge task that we've been working on for several months and will be working on it through the next year. I wouldn't expect it sooner than second half of next year.

sisus_co, Polyfemos, Arkitas and 2 others like this.
  10. Vikas9844

Vikas9844

It runs smooth like native through Rosetta translation, see for yourself : Youtube Link

11. Ray_Sovranti

Ray_Sovranti

A native editor is one thing, but what about our games? When is native game compilation for M1 expected?

evo9 likes this.
  12. Sky77

Sky77

Apple Silicon suppport is already available. We're using it on Unity 2020.2, but I think it's also on 2020.1.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  14. Foriero

Foriero

Nice.

Thank you Tautvydas.

Does UnityPurchasing work as well?

Marek.

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I did not try it. It might have to be updated if it uses precompiled native plugins, I'll ask.

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

IAP team said that they plan ship an update to the IAP package this month with support for Apple silicon player builds.

17. Foriero

Foriero

Thanks.

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Looks like an IAP package update was published today (version 2.2.2) that includes native Apple silicon player support.

DavidZobrist and Foriero like this.
  19. Deozaan

Deozaan

Is there any chance that porting the editor to ARM for Apple Silicon support will result in support for Linux or Android ARM devices? I'd love to see the Unity Editor on some theoretical future Raspberry Pi 5 device. :D

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No.

DavidZobrist likes this.
  21. Big_Friggin_Al

Big_Friggin_Al

Do you guys have any kind of even rough timeframe for a native editor?

22. elbows

elbows

Many months away is the nearest I think we can expect in regards a complete answer about timeframes, eg see this post: #118

23. Toupee

Toupee

I haven't seen a whole lot of information about people using Unity on M1's, but I'm impressed in my short time with it. It's more than comparable to my Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1080 — in fact in runs some scenes in editor twice as fast as that system. (Wow.)

That being said I can't seem to build an actual project that runs, even on 2020.2 (b12).
    (EDIT: Looks like maybe I should try with b14.)

thelebaron likes this.
  24. badjano

badjano

is it at least on the roadmap? unity supporting linux arm would be game changing for IOT

villeHelin likes this.
  25. elbows

elbows

The fix in beta 14 is working as expected here, cheers for the fix.

26. Terko

Terko

any news when the first beta for native editor apple silicon support is going to come out?

can't wait! if it cuts down the compile/run/stop time it would be so freaking cool!

I would even take it with a lot of bugs :D

27. elbows

elbows

I'm not sitting around waiting for it to happen any time soon, since the last time this was mentioned they said it was many months away: #118

28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It will be a few months. I am working on it exclusively (along with others) and our goal is to get it to a place where it's runnable ASAP.

Lars-Steenhoff and elbows like this.
  29. adslitw

adslitw

Thank you @Tautvydas-Zilys! Despite Unity being slower, my M1 MBA has replaced the 16 MBP - the silence alone is worth it. I'm really looking forward to Unity being ARM native.

30. Terko

Terko

You rock!

The silence and the battery life of M1 MBA is out of this world.
    Replaced my 16" as well.

31. UAS

UAS

Alright, I just got mine, eagerly waiting native Unity ARM

32. Foriero

Foriero

Yes once it works I buy Mac Pro M2. :)

33. pplcf

pplcf

Do not rush to upgrade to M1 Macs.
    Got MBP 13" on M1 recently. I foolishly expected performance to be on par with my old 6-core MBP 16" 2018, but it isn't the case. The Unity Editor feels a bit sluggish & choppier on M1 and entering the Play Mode is 2-3 times slower. It isn't unbearably slow and still pretty usable, but it will give you a noticeably worse experience compared even to a 3 years older intel Mac.

I really hope that native Editor will fix or at least somewhat alleviate the performance issue.

Fimiam and ina like this.
  34. adslitw

adslitw

35. UAS

UAS

I came from windows i7 16gb gaming laptop GTX1060 6gb, I upgraded to 13 MBP M1 8gb...
    Night and Day Performance difference on 2020.2f1 in favor of M1,
    I'm so excited for more performance boost within a Native Unity Editor

JBUlta likes this.
  36. ina

ina

when is the native unity editor coming to m1

37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

See couple posts up.

38. ina

ina

eh, how long is a few months? 3, 6, 9... ?

san40511 likes this.
  39. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

Awesome to hear that it's being worked on. Is there's an ETA on a beta or preview build? Are we talking 6 months or closer to 3? Just trying to see if it's worth keeping the M1 or waiting until Unity runs natively on it...

40. Mishaps

Mishaps

Seems C# won't be native until C# 6 later this year. Will you have to wait for this to be released before fixing the long wait in the editor experienced after script changes?

41. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure what you're referring to? C# 6 was released in 2015. It's up to version 9 upstream right now.

The main slowness in the script changes in the editor come from the domain unloads and reloads, specifically JITting the new code. JIT is implemented in Mono, which already runs on Apple silicon and in fact has been shipping since Unity 2020.2 with support for it because it's used by the Mac Standalone player.

42. Mishaps

Mishaps

Thanks for the details (perhaps I'm mixing up some things).

.NET 6 will apparently have native support apple silicon, scheduled for nov 2021. https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/roadmap.md
    https://github.com/orgs/dotnet/projects/18

VSCode is not native yet. But VSCode Insiders edition is. However, the C# plugin fails to load so it's not usable for unity dev yet.

43. Mishaps

Mishaps

So Unity 2020.2 with apple silicon native JIT/Mono, it's a lot faster for script changes and domain reload than Unity 2019.4.x (old JIT/Mono via Rosetta)?

44. Polyfemos

Polyfemos

I didn't notice any difference between 2019 and 2020.2 on M1 (just upgraded the project a week ago).

45. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Ah I see. Unity itself doesn't use .NET, so for the initial port it will not be necessary. There are some binaries in the editor package that do (like IL2CPP or Roslyn), and they will initially still be run via Rosetta, and later we plan to pull in .NET 6 beta binaries.

No, even though in 2020.2 Mono can run natively on Apple silicon, editor still uses the x64 version of it because the editor itself isn't native.

46. Mishaps

Mishaps

cool thanks for all the details. We'll look at other ways to get the iteration times down in the meantime. (asmdef / disable domain reload on play etc).

47. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

I wana buy a m1 MBP for my daily development.
    Will there be a big improvement on compiling when the native editor comes out?

Griffo, Thrawn666 and aromana like this.
  48. Jon_Wick

Jon_Wick

Hi, are there any updates?
    Does everything in Unity runs natively on Apple m1 now (saw some updates in release notes recently)?

Also would be great to hear from m1 users who uses latest Unity version - any issues? what is performance?

49. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

50. Bobbiii

Bobbiii

any gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood news??:confused: