Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro Does Text Mesh Pro support Simplified Chinese?

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by Rich_A, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Rich_A

Rich_A

Hi all,

I've searched the FAQs and cannot see an answer to this question.

Does TMP support Asian characters such as Simplified Chinese?

In my experiments with the asset, I cannot get it to display any characters, with either the inbuilt fonts or my own font which includes the characters.

With simplified Chinese being such a critical language to support now in 2018 (second most popular language behind English on Steam) - TMP being unable to support the language would significantly diminish the usefulness of the asset.

Any ideas? Do the built-in TMP fonts just not include these characters, and maybe I'm importing my chinese font incorrectly?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

TextMesh Pro does support CJK including proper word wrapping for East Asian languages.

The font asset included with TextMesh Pro (Liberation Sans SDF) does not include CJK characters.

See the following post. There are also several additional posts related to this.

Rich_A likes this.
  3. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks for that. Yes, I figured it was because the inbuilt 'starter' fonts didn't include the thousands of Chinese characters.

I tried searching, but nothing showed up for 'text mesh pro chinese'. Now, this thread will help direct people using that search term :)

Follow-up question: what is the best practice for getting a 'Chinese' font into TMP? What do I enter into the 'character set?' section of the Font Asset Creator?

Edit2: It seems like the best practice for CJK is to wait for the translations to be finalised, and then import only the set of characters being used in the game. Otherwise I will blow out the output texture.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Creta_Park

Creta_Park

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

P.S. This process will be getting easier soon. Be sure to tune in to TMP presentation at Unite LA :)

Rich_A and Creta_Park like this.
  6. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks. I'm strictly stuck with 2017.4 for my project - will these future changes be compatible with that version?
    Would the changes/TMP asset update be released in year 2018? :)

I only have about 700 words total, English, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, German. So once the translations are finalised, I can just populate all the European characters, then get a character list from the Chinese translator of which of the 3000 total Chinese characters I'm using. For simplicity I'd like to just have these in a mega-font file, target is PC/Console anyway so the large resultant texture is fine.

So if these upgrades are a few months away, I might just delay the UI until then.

Edit: Is there a TMP font file that I can download from somewhere which includes the characters from all languages, just for testing purposes?