Search Unity

Does Steam VR work for Vive and Oculus

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by largedogvrstudio, Oct 17, 2017.

1. largedogvrstudio

largedogvrstudio

I am just finishing up a game I have been working on for a while now in unity. I used the steam VR plugin to interact with the headset and controllers and I have been testing it out on a HTC Vive. I dont know anyone that has an oculus to test it out on, and I cant find many answers from researching on the internet. Since I used the steam VR plugin will my video game also work with the oculus headset? Is their anything I have to change in my code? I did not use any frameworks I did all of the coding using the SteamVR plugins API.

Thanks

2. swirvithan

swirvithan

SteamVR will work for both out of the box. It should even switch your vive controller models in game to Oculus touch controllers if you're using SteamVR_RenderModel. ;)

There are still a couple things to look out for though:
    • The button mapping on a touch controller is slightly different - the vive menu button should map to the Y and B buttons on the touch controllers, the touch pad on vive is now a thumbstick, etc. Particularly in the case of the thumbstick, if you had a controller mapping on vive that required the player click a specific part of the touchpad, it might be a bit annoying on Oculus to accurately position the joystick and click in.
    • If you're planning on supporting 180 tracking (2 sensor setup) on Oculus, you'll need a button or two to turn the playspace, or design around that etc. Oculus now officially supports 3 sensor 360 degree tracking though, so supporting 180 tracking isn't required.
    EDIT: Also keep in mind oculus players will be able to play your game, but only if they're running SteamVR/playing through Steam. You won't be able to release through the Oculus store without changing up your code to use OVR (Oculus) instead of OpenVR (Steam, SteamVR, etc)