Search Unity

Feature Request Does Shader Graph support per-instance data yet?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by james_unity988, Aug 20, 2019.

1. james_unity988

james_unity988

I've been waiting to use Shader Graph because I can't get the optimizations I need without per-instance data support (similar to how we use PropertyMaterialBlocks in the classic render system).

Any updates or timeline on this?

Arathorn_J likes this.
  2. kayb14

kayb14

danm it! still no update!
    Since the first day of 2018 I am dreaming of a unity version that combines all the new features.
    What's the sense of having skinned mesh instancing when you can only use DOTS in the SRPs?

Arathorn_J likes this.
  3. Arathorn_J

Arathorn_J

I would love an update on this as well.

4. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

What does "per instance mean"?

5. pbritton

pbritton

A thorough explanation can be found here but it relates to maintaining the benefits of GPU instancing while having more flexibility with variables.

With that said, what's up with this feature being absent in Shadergraph when its the go to and heavily promoted feature in Unity? I am still waiting for access to the light direction and there is nothing but silence.

6. bgolus

bgolus

Because for the SRPs they're working towards using their new SRP Batcher which in some cases sees similar or better performance than instancing (for smaller instance counts), and for which they plan on adding instancing support in the future.