Search Unity

Question does my projects gets saved when i reinstall my pc?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by demis_00, Jan 25, 2021.

1. demis_00

demis_00

I am worrying that i will lose my unity project that i was working for a year because i will have to reinstall my laptop for upgrades in this summer. i noticed that when i got new computer all my project got saved in OneDrive from old computer.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

OneDrive is cloud storage. Files stored in it should be available to you after you wipe your computer if you log back in using the same account. What you should do though, is back up your projects on a flash drive first. Since it sounds like you don't really understand what is being saved to OneDrive or how that happens, you shouldn't depend on it backing up your projects.

3. demis_00

demis_00

ok but after i logged into unity on new laptop all my previous projects automatically got stored into OneDrive and i haven't opened them yet.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well Unity has nothing to do with OneDrive. At some point you told OneDrive to include your earlier project folder(s). Whether you've done that with any newer projects, whether you've stored your new projects in a folder OneDrive is already copying to the cloud, is something only you would know. You can log into OneDrive with its web interface to see what you've had it copy.

But like I was saying, it doesn't really seem like you understand what OneDrive is or how to use it. You shouldn't depend on something to back up your projects which you don't understand. So I'd still suggest just making a backup of anything you need to save onto a flash drive before erasing anything. If you instead want to spend your time learning how to use OneDrive and check what it has backed up, that's not a terrible idea either. But none of this is really related to Unity.