Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does MegaSplat do anything more than CTS does?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest, Jul 14, 2018.

1. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I know this is probably a ridiculously noobish question, but I was trying to compile a list of items in the asset store and honestly can't tell if there is any benefit to owning both, or if I should just save my money. I do like the texture mixing and puddle effects on MegaSplat, but also I plan on getting Gaia and love the integration between the sister programs. Sorry I'm such a nub

2. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I was really wanting dynamic rain that would accumulate into sense-making puddles, and then possibly be scripted into raising or creating water levels in other parts of the map. Looks like I'd have to use Lux for that exact feature though, am I right?

3. QFSW

QFSW

Try asking the author who made it, they should be able to give you any obvious pros over the other

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  4. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Because there are more sources of knowledge than one, and I have no idea what their username is or if they frequent the site. I can't tell if you're being snarky because it is a good idea, just seems a little rude to run right to the developer with my uneducated questions though.

So I guess the answer is because I didn't know any better, if that's the norm here.

5. QFSW

QFSW

I'm not being snarky :p As an asset publisher myself, I wouldn't mind people asking me these questions (as a matter of fact, I get them via both forums and emails)

Btw, if you don't know how to contact them, every asset will have a contact publisher button which will let you drop them an email :)

Edited my previous response to sound less rude since that wasn't the point

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Maybe we should remove the reviews and let the author review the assets themself :)

7. QFSW

QFSW

Sounded like he wanted a feature comparison and not a review

@BlankDeed
    Also I'd recommend asking both authors actually to get a neutral opinion

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah, but asking the author will only give you pros and maybe some cons. Asking both is better, but the best thing is a unbiased user who have tried both.

Edit: I own both but haven't had the time to really use them. I bought Megasplat because it supports texture arrays and I was going to use it for draw call optimization, don't know if CTS support this

9. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Exactly what I thought. I wouldn't want to go up to a guy and ask why something else is a better product, no offense at all to the other guy, it works in some situations. I think you were spot on with thinking the texture array was worth a purchase, I was only like 80% sure Gaia didn't include it, or didn't include it as well, or I don't know I just wanted a real customers opinion.

For the record, I'm starting to see less use in Gaia's terrain stamper and other features. I really like the way their products are structured, but I'm starting to lean towards Megasplat and rely on my own skills more for the fine tuning of the whole terrain since I like how it looks already.

10. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Not sure if anyone knows what it is, but I'm used to the A5/A6 engine.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If I were purchasing an asset I would never use megasplat or CTS. I might use microsplat (not the same thing) because it is fast and does everything but with 16 layers. I am not sure anyone needs more than 16 for terrain, ever. In these cases, multiple terrains should be used.

I am also not using legacy/builtin renderer either so I would end up using no assets at all.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you check the asset descriptions you'll find that both authors have provided links to their forum threads. It's common practice for asset developers. Links to their documentation and tutorials are somewhat less common but if they aren't in the description they'll occasionally be in the forum thread.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/megasplat-a-256-texture-splat-mapping-system.441329/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  13. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Thank you for that, I was starting to think myself that Microsplat might be all I'd really need in that department, but I could tell it was a different type of asset than Mega and got a little confused in everything I was reading. 16 is a lot of layers, I appreciate your help.

I appreciate that, I didn't notice it.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Although if you invest in asset store this early you should know that a lot of shader based assets will not be working with the new rendering pipelines unless the author specifies.

The new render pipelines are not finished yet but you can read more on the blog. You should be acutely aware that shaders aren't cross compatible. So something you buy on asset store isn't guaranteed to work on anything. You must always be very clear and specific about it and talk to the authors.

If the authors do not respond within 2-3 working days, move on. Don't bother with those.
    If the authors do respond, they will clarify clearly, if it works with Builtin, LW or HD.

Builtin = the classic renderer Unity uses by default
    LW = lightweight renderer using SRP
    HD = high definition renderer using SRP

SRP = Scriptable Render Pipeline, the new work in progress flexible and open rendering system Unity is developing.
    Shaders are not cross compatible at time of writing, so shader authors on asset store will need to make that clear to you.

If you are at all interested in using LW or HD *do not buy shaders on asset store yet*.

15. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Amazing, extremely helpful. I was worried about that exact thing too, I want a nice shader to encapsulate the look I have in my memory, but then I noticed things I didn't even expect to come with shaders came with shaders. This is extremely important to me too, as I'd like to nail down a certain look or a pipeline for that look before I get onto everything else.

I also saw that under the hood it seemed like Unity was getting a nice overhaul to the way it does shaders in general. I dunno, i picture things in my head so the sooner I can nail down the look or whatever I'm gonna have at my disposal for ascetic, the sooner I can push forward newer ideas.

I guess I've got a little wiggle room, I've got a few ideas of varying feasibility. There's only one I really wanna work on though. Once again I appreciate that detailed response, I'll watch my step a lot more closely, I don't want to waste money either since these tools are really replacing employees for me. Or saves me time at least.

16. QFSW

QFSW

I was under the impression LW would work on HD? So it's just an issue of builtin/legacy vs SRP?

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is not guaranteed, no. Also they will look quite different, if it does work. And it only refers to the shader graph under common conditions.

Unity doesn't even want you to go back and forth between different pipelines so anything else needs to be carefully considered. We chose a pipeline and will stay with it for this game. This is the best kind of decision to make.