Search Unity

Does legacy animation is really obsolete?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by U7Games, Apr 12, 2018.

1. U7Games

U7Games

Hi...

I have a house containing (obviously) doors, I want to animate them opening and closing... as you can see, a very simple Rot Y curve can do the job, legacy animation makes really easy to achieve this... but as I read, legacy animation will be deprecated in future version of Unity, in such case, do I´m forced to use Mecanim ?... even for a quick and simple animation like opening/closing door?..

I guess Mecanim is wonderful for more complex animations, what will happen if you want to do simple animations?

Thanks

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Starpaq2, demalpica and U7Games like this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Or a tween solution, or just code the rotation, or just use legacy.
    They've stated legacy will not be deprecated until all ability with it is replaced with mecanim, and can be 'updated' without issue.

U7Games likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think that time draws close though... The idea of the simple animation component is to fill any last gaps among other reasons.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. 5argon

5argon

I am just here to say that based on this presentation, he said Legacy Animation System is not going anywhere and is the best practice for optimization. Just in case someone lands on this thread from Google.. (the event was held several months after the last reply)

6. snacktime

snacktime

I think the new DOTS animation when it arrives will largely remove the need for legacy. But ya there is a huge performance difference and Unity understands that. Mecanim is roughly 2x more main thread cpu time, a little more actually. Plus skinned mesh animation is fairly heavy to start with, which can make that difference very significant. Deprecating something that solves a real problem with no replacement and without a really good reason for doing so would be silly.

7. VoodooDetective

VoodooDetective

What's the story with this? Is it deprecated or not?

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's "L e g a c y"

Also funny how the simple animation blog post was deleted.
    Things that make you go "hmmm"

9. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

No, it's not deprecated. They have said they won't deprecate it without having a system that can handle all the same features with equal or better performance. How true that actually ends up being is anybody's guess.