Search Unity

Does it make sense to use UnityAccelerator locally for a single developer

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by coffiarts, Apr 14, 2021.

1. coffiarts

coffiarts

In earlier version, I've been using the former Cache Server as a single, standalone installation on my single development PC where I've been developing private one-man project games ;-)

It seemed to me that this was helping A LOT for speeding up build time.
    I am develping on a quite powerful PC with plenty of RAM and a decent CPU, so I guess that wasn't the wrong idea.

Now I am wondering whether the new UnityAccelerator can give me the same benefit? Or is it a dump idea?
    I understand, of course, that UA is designed to mainly power team development, using a centralized server, but this is not my scenario.

Anyone having experience with such a way to use it?

2. hiepu3d

hiepu3d

Unity Technologies

Hello,

With Asset Database Pipeline V2, you would have a built-in cache database in the Editor so you would not need to have Unity Accelerator running for a single developer. Unity Accelerator would be most beneficial for when you have a team working in the same network since it will save you time while importing new assets.

naviln, JoNax97 and coffiarts like this.
  3. coffiarts

coffiarts

Thanks, @hiepu3d, this clarifies a lot.

I am working in Editor version 2020.3.3, so I am already on Pipeline v2 by default, right?
    (Sorry for this potential noob question. I've been off from Unity for a loooong time and still struggling to catch up with the changes).

4. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

5. Whatever560

Whatever560

Looking at the original question :
    - if I'm using a local build pipeline (right now I use Jenkins) it would be beneficial to use the accelerator.
    The same way the local machine Cache Server was in Pipeline V1.
    - Moreover, I can mirror/expose my machine to coworkers so they would beneficiate from the Accelerator, regarding the fact I have a high upload bandwidth.
    - Finally I can easily switch between import pipeline V1 and V2, if my Library folder, the Cache Server and the Accelerator are kept.

Am I correct ?

Best