Search Unity

Does it make a difference to have single or dual channel RAM for overall Editor performance?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sarebots2, Jan 24, 2020.

1. sarebots2

sarebots2

Just found out my new gaming laptop came with 1x16 GB RAM (2666 MHz) with 1 empty slot so it is possible to upgrade it to dual channel by installing another 16 GB 2666 MHz card. Will upgrading have a noticeable impact in terms of editor loading time, play load time, asset loading, scene loading and overall performance in Unity?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Dual channel means a request to each channel can overlap each other instead of waiting for one to complete before another can occur. A potential performance gain when the system needs to access locations on both channels at the same time.

Two memory slots does not necessarily mean your laptop supports dual channel though. Typically you would see a dual channel laptop ship with a 2x8 GB configuration in order to take advantage of the performance benefit for little extra cost, so shipping with just one stick implies either it does not have dual channel support or the guy who decided filling only a single channel is not necessarily the greatest at his job (or the company just got a killer deal on 16GB sticks I guess). So I'd do whatever I could to verify the board in this laptop is in fact dual channel.

3. sarebots2

sarebots2

The laptop is ROG Zephyrus M GU502GW and from what I've read it does support dual channel memory, I'll just have to spend an extra 100 bucks on a 16 gig stick. Just wondering whether it's worth it for workstation purposes (I know it can give a decent boost in gaming performance but that's not the primary purpose for me)