Search Unity

Does HDRP support custom post fx?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by MadeFromPolygons, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I am getting disallusioned with URP and the fact that it outright does not support custom effects right now, meaning its subset of the post processing stack is mostly useless unless you want one of 5 FX.

Does HDRP also have this issue or can I make custom post FX for it?

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

HDRP supports custom effects since Unity 2019.3. Supposedly custom effects for URP are not set to arrive until 2020.2 or 2020.3 due to some design and performance implication that need ironing out.

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Okay fantastic thank you very much for the response, I appreciate it :) On to HDRP I go!

4. Olmi

Olmi

Yes on 2019.3 and probably later (don't have experience myself) it should work fine.

It is a bit tricky to get started but looks like many of the needed things are actually more easily available than earlier (like depth, normals, motion vectors etc.). Figuring out how those RTHandles can be allocated and a few other things were a bit frustrating but there's a few good examples out there like Keijiro's. And the things have changed quite a lot from Post-processing Stack v2. I kind of liked that, it was very easy to understand. Anyway I've already written quite a few post effects for HDRP and it seems to be working pretty well (as far as I understand these things...).