Search Unity

Does Game Foundation work with NFT's

Discussion in 'Game Foundation' started by MikeUpchat, Mar 13, 2021.

1. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Is there any support in Game Foundation for NFT's or could game foundation be used alongside a NFT asset, so could GF handle the database side of owned items etc?

2. richj_unity

richj_unity

Unity Technologies

Built-in support for NFT or a blockchain backend is not on our roadmap, but we shouldn't rule it out. But with the way Game Foundation has been architected, it should be possible to create a custom BlockchainDataLayer which talks to a blockchain service as the authority for the player's inventory and wallet.

TomTrottel likes this.
  3. falconfetus8

falconfetus8

I think you really *should* rule it out.

4. koltzvonsteiner

koltzvonsteiner

Actually, it would be cool if the game foundation worked with NFT. It'd be much easier to defend your rights and that's no the only reason. The variety of uses of NFT is huge. There are so many projects where NFT is implemented. Starting from artists to ecological startups like MyImpactPower. This is almost everywhere. And I think it's an omission to overlook it. But of course, I'm not a member of the foundation and I can't advise anything. I will just hope that it will try to follow trends to try to get benefit from it.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

NTF is not solving any issue that hasn't been already solved with assets.
    You still need same tools and more, to track and deal with assets ownership.
    And this not even guarantee, of owning original work.
    The worse part is, it can negatively affect previous buiers, who bought counterfeit asset, though is genuine. Now they can be tracked and potentially penalised even few years after. Same applies in case original rights has changed hands. What about past buiers.

Sounds like sound solution?
    To me, sounds like grand money milking machine.
    And since things are meant to be on chain, what give anyone ability to track, who bought what? Like anyone could literally track any entity, and purchased assets on NFT.
    Sounds like another tool, just to bring take downs on many unawere entities.

In terms of Unity Assets Store, unity can track who bought what, if they really need to.