Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does enlighten get any faster in beta 10?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Jaimi, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

I see the light mapper has more properties and features in b10 (by looking at the videos), but does enlighten get ANY faster at all?

I've followed the hints people have posted (made the terrain have it's own light map parameters object, that sets the resolution and color resolution to 0.1 each), but I'm not seeing any speed gain. I can't set the terrain static, because then it looks like the trees are floating in the distance as the terrain is then basically flat shaded.

Enlighten has been in "Enlighten - LightTransport" for about 10 hours now, and it appears to be about 1/3 complete. I have a quad core i7, and bumped it up to "high" cpu usage, and it is indeed devouring tons of CPU. I also have 24GB of RAM. So I don't think it's a resource issue.

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi Jaimi, we already cut beta 10 and that version will not be significantly faster, but a later beta might... We have a an engineer looking into optimizing the allocator we use for the light transport stage and there is good potential for some optimizations there.
    If your project never finishes computing light transport, please send us a bug report with the repro. Thanks!

shkar-noori likes this.
  3. Zomby138

Zomby138

@KEngelstoft What do you mean by "cut beta 10"? Was it a bad build, so we'll be skipping straight to beta 11?

4. KellyThomas

KellyThomas

Looks like "cut" as in produced. The term dates back to physically cutting grooves into a blank record when recording audio.

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, what KellyThomas said :)

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

OK, I'm about 36 hours into "Enlighten - LightTransport", and it's about 2/3 of the way through now. I'm expecting it to be done sometime tomorrow morning. Once this phase is completed, will it function somewhat normally? Or will placing a single house on the terrain cause it to relight the entire thing (for another 48 hours)?

I guess I'm asking if there is any point in working with enlighten when you have a terrain in this version.

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

"OK, I'm about 36 hours into "Enlighten - LightTransport", and it's about 2/3 of the way through now. I'm expecting it to be done sometime tomorrow morning. Once this phase is completed, will it function somewhat normally? Or will placing a single house on the terrain cause it to relight the entire thing (for another 48 hours)? "

For big terrains i suggest using a lower precompute resolution. Please create a new LightmapParameter asset, and assign it in the lightmapping window.

I suggest using 0.1 for resolution.

We will soon have builtin lightmap parameters and initialize the terrain to sensible defaults in some upcoming betas.

You might also want to look at reducing the precompute / realtime resolution in general.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thank you for the response - I have already done this as was suggested in another thread (set the precompute resolution and cluster resolution to 0.1 in a TerrainLightmapParms and assigned that to the terrain, and lowered the general precompute resolution to 8.)

Is it expected that after the initial calculation that things will flow normally? If not, I will go back to legacy mode, and just cancel this, and try enlighten again next time a beta is released.

9. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

For a terrain a precompute resolution of 8 is way too high. I think generally 1meter or 0.5 meter pixels are good enough for indoor scenes. For terrain one indirect pixel ever 5 meters (0.2 resolution) is plenty.

Try using global resolution of 2 and a lightmapparameter resolution for the terrain of 0.1 (Please note that it's a scale against the value global value... so that means it is still very high for your case...)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  10. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

In Beta 9, the best way to get consistent bakes is this:
    1. Set baking mode to On Demand
    2. Save
    3. Close Unity completely
    4. Reopen Unity
    5. Bake