Search Unity

Does EditorXR actually perform a Runtime? Optimizations?

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by socodev, Sep 27, 2019.

1. socodev

socodev

Hi guys, new to EditorXR but not Unity in general. First foray into the world of VR Development, shifting over from some AR productions.

Concerning EditorXR, I've set it up under Unity 2018.3 and SteamVR version 1.2.3, and though my scene functions alright, I'm getting a similar visual/FPS stuttering during rapid head turns that most people seem to talk about. My headset is a Vive Pro, and we're running 4 Lighthouses, so tracking ought not to be the cause of any stuttering. Other apps and SteamVR's menus all run smooth as silk.

Watching the Siggraph 2017 Demo leads me to believe that optimization is possible for EditorXR setups, but this leaves me wondering: Does EditorXR actually "run" in Unity? By this I mean, does it allow us to use things that normally happen at runtime (Baked Lighting, Occlusion Culling, Batching, etc)? Will these optimization methods actually work in favor of EditorXR?

If not, what can we actually utilize to optimize our use of this system?

Thanks for your help!

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Here are some tips for running in edit mode: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...2-aBGrF3rX5pk5KDo/edit#heading=h.wnyez0rbp160

Additionally, you could simply just run EditorXR in play mode, but then you wouldn't be able to save changes back without some run-time serialization utilities: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...2-aBGrF3rX5pk5KDo/edit#heading=h.ptfc3vrzfge2

Longer term, I think we'd like to update the rendering to go through the game view rendering approach (what you see when you're in play mode) instead of having it render in an editor window (similar to scene view). There are some performance costs for rendering that way, currently.

3. hellstorm

hellstorm

any chance of you guys implementing oculus native SDK instead of steamvr? steamVR runs poorly for me even on a insane system when using my oculus ( i9 9900k and 2080)

4. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Oculus native is supported -- you just have to set it first in priority for Virtual Reality SDKs

5. hellstorm

hellstorm

Thats awesome thanks!

6. socodev

socodev

Thanks Amir! I'll give the editor fixes a try. That update sounds like a cool idea as well!

Is there a timeline on any new developments for EditorXR? I understand you guys can't talk promises on internal studio stuff, but do you think this project will be touched in the near-future? Maybe I've got limited vision, but I feel as though the only real failing of these editor projects (Unreal's VR Editor, 3DS Max Interactive, etc) is that they're made and then set aside/forgotten by the Devs. You guys have a distinct advantage in that you "leave the doors open" for user tool development, but it'd be cool to see more Dev expansion and optimization soon!

7. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

There's no *active* development, but I try to spend a few cycles personally (sometimes in my free time outside of work) and @mtschoen also does. We do have more in store for EditorXR, one of which is a simple update to the currently released version to reflect what has been sitting in our 'development' branch -- simply a version without any partner SDK dependencies.