Search Unity

Does "Disable HW Statistics" option also disable Analytics?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by jiyongman, Feb 10, 2019.

1. jiyongman

jiyongman

If I check the option "Disable HW Statistics" in the build settings,
    will standard and custom events of Unity Analytics be disabled too?

I found this link but it is too old, so I'm not sure it still applies to my Unity 2018.3.0f2.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Yes. HW Statistics are the “core” stats that underlie all runtime services, including analytics.

jiyongman likes this.
  3. jiyongman

jiyongman

Just to be clear, you mean HW Statistics has something to do with Analytics itself which also includes standard and custom events, other than just Core Events like AppStart, DeviceInfo, right?

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

HW Stats and Core Events are functionally the same thing. Runtime services use this data to provide hw usage data, segmentation, retention rates, and similar statistics.

jiyongman likes this.
  5. jiyongman

jiyongman

Thanks!
    BTW, after googling I found the option "Disable HW Statistics" was for paid users only. But I could enable it on my personal edition too, which is 2018.3.0f2.
    It is a bug or something?

6. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Not a bug. We've made a decision to give everyone (not just Pro users) the ability to disable all data collection. If memory serves, this capability was introduced in 2018.3.

alfish, cxode, Flavelius and 2 others like this.
  7. jiyongman

jiyongman

Wow, wonderful! Thanks!

8. docsavage

docsavage

This is good news. Thanks for this.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Would you have made the same decision if you weren't semi-forced by GDRP I wonder?

In any case, in 2020, the "Disable Hardware Statistics" box is gone. Is it somewhere else? Or did you decide to collect data regardless of our wishes?

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Turning on/off Analytics does the same thing now. Analytics off also disables hardware stats.

AcidArrow likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That’s good then, thanks.

12. Souliloquy

Souliloquy

I'm using Unity 2018.4.16f1 and disabling ads/analytics didn't turn it off for me, now after many failed attempts to get my app accepted to the iOS store (rejected due to the use of IDFA in a children focused game) I'm trying again after turning it off manually.

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I was talking about Unity 2020, so the reply @JeffDUnity3D gave was specifically for 2020.

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I believe it also applies to Unity 2019.3 and above.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    docsavage, gresolio and AcidArrow like this.
  15. Geads

Geads

Does removing the analytics package from the package manager achieve the same result?

16. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Depends on the Unity version, you will want to confirm yourself with Charles Proxy. In recent Unity versions, all you need to do is disable Analytics in the Services window. What problem are you trying to solve?

17. Geads

Geads

Google removed my app for collecting information, I dont want or need to collect any information, I don't have any ads, analytics or IAP in my app
    • Android Device ID
    • Advertising ID
    Please contact Unity and request for the following compliant versions: Unity 2019.4.1f1 and 2018.4.24f1.

I submitted my app with 2019.4.2f1, but I deleted the analytics and IAP packages just to be safe and it still got denied

18. Geads

Geads

I just used Charles Proxy with Unity version 2020.1.0b15 with all services turned off and Charles Proxy showed 1 request from https://cdp.cloud.unity3d.com, but when i clicked into it it said unknown. Will I be okay with just that or is that still collecting some data somehow?

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unknown means it's still encrypted, we would need to see the unencrypted response. Did you add the CharlesProxy. unitypackage to your project? https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity You must follow all the steps.

20. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Geads Can you confirm that you deleted any Advertising packages in Package Manager? Is this game in the Kids category?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  21. tessellation

tessellation

This is confusing. I'm using Unity 2018.4.19 and we select Disable HW Statistics and yet our app is sending custom UnityAnalytics data regardless. My understanding was the this "HW Statistics" option only affects the stats that are collected by Unity itself and aggregated by Unity across all their games. Did this change with a recent Unity release so that selecting this now disables even custom Analytics events? If so, this is very confusing and a misnomer.

22. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Disable HW Stats implies that a single event that sends deviceInfo (hardware statistics) is not sent. Others still may be sent if Analytics is still enabled. In recent Unity releases, disabling Analytics also disables HW Stats.

23. tessellation

tessellation

OK, great, this matches my assumption.

24. Geads

Geads

This is a kids game in the kids category with no ads, analytics, or IAP but it’s being denied for collecting information. This is very frustrating because after being in the google play store for 2 years I can no longer get accepted. How do I disable android device ID and advertising ID?

25. Geads

Geads

I have tried it with the packages deleted and the packages there but turned off, and they both got denied for the same reason of android device ID and advertising ID. What is the preferred method?

26. Geads

Geads

I have had this game correctly marked for kids as well, this game was on the app store for 2+ years with no issue now its being removed

Attached Files:

27. itsarjunsinh

itsarjunsinh

Hi, just to clarify, if I create a new project in Unity 2020.1 where all the services are off by default then the release build will not recieve or send any data to Unity. Correct?

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

itsarjunsinh likes this.
  29. snacktime

snacktime

Have yet to check packet level to see what it is, but Unity is sending over a GB of traffic per day out, all evenly spread out. This is a headless server build instance using 2020. No project id even assigned so no services. Bare minimum packages plus DOTS entities and physics.

30. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so wireshark shows this is udp it's just spamming 225.0.0.222:54997. Assuming it's debug related?

itsarjunsinh likes this.
  31. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

32. snacktime

snacktime

Ya it is a debug build and I saw that last post you referenced. I'm assuming a release build won't exhibit the same behavior just not in a place to make one atm.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.