Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Does Collaborate dramatically increase scene file sizes?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by BHMW, Dec 18, 2016.

1. BHMW

BHMW

My file sizes for my scenes have gone from tiny (40kb) to 10-20 mb which is now the largest things in my standalone build.

The only thing significant that I have done today is try out Collaborate for the first time.

Does anyone know what is going on?

If this isn't collaborates doing, do you have any idea why else this would have happened when I have not changed my scenes?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I use collaborate and haven't seen that happen, so I'm betting it's something else?

Did you change anything else? Anything at all?

3. BHMW

BHMW

I have no idea, I didn't do anything that would cause this. Maybe its just a new bug with Unity?

I found a workaround. Making any change to the scene whatsoever and then resaving each scene is making them go back to normal sizes. so strange.

edit: it worked for every scene except for my main menu, it remains at 19mb, (it was 4mb before). The scenes that are "fixed" are now 70-80 kb, instead of 40-50kb that they were before, fine now but still doesn't make any sense. Something definitely very buggy going on.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. It doesn't really sound like something Collaborate should be able to do, but by any chance did you switch Unity editor versions recently or tried sharing a Collaborate project between machines with different Unity editor versions?

5. BHMW

BHMW

I found out what caused the file size, I have somehow lost all of the prefab connection in the scene. After clicking on the prefabs and clicking revert to turn it back into a prefab the file size goes back down.

With that said, I am unsure of what caused the loss of all the prefab connections in the first place. Is it possible that collaborate got rid of the prefab connections for prefabs that have unapplied changes in scene?

Meceka likes this.
  6. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

I don't think so, but I can try to verify when I get a moment. The thing is that Collab should be doing a git-like approach where it tries to make the least assumptions possible about the files in the Assets folder, and only the Assets folder, when tracking changes. There could be some other logic in the editor somewhere triggering the change and Collab simply saves it because it's not going to make assumptions beyond that you want to track files as they are in the Assets folder.