Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Does collab often think it is up to date when it is not, forcing a restart?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by MadeFromPolygons, Dec 13, 2018.

?

Does collab often think it is up to date when it is not, forcing a restart?

1. Yes, very often

50 vote(s)
    82.0%
  2. Yes but not very often

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Only once or twice

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. No never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

upload_2018-12-13_9-37-13.png

Every single team member gets this multiple times a day. The only way to solve it is to restart unity, which then triggers a "checking for changes" etc etc.

Its getting very irritating, and I always assumed it was known, but after it happening for so long, I have to ask,

Is unity aware of this?

Clearly collab knows there is a push/pull to make, but the actual push/pull window is constantly buggy and reports as up to date despite the icon that is literally just above it.

Simple fix: add a push option to the collab history panel. We have found if this happens but with a pull, we can get collab to realise the pull is there by going into the history panel and then pressing update (Despite the main collab drop down saying up to date constantly). So if there was also the same ability for pushing, even when this drop down bugs out we wouldnt have to restart.

Please fix this!

EDIT: we are using paid for teams with pro licenses, if this helps

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. T5Shared

T5Shared

That's quite annoying indeed. However, in our team, I do not think we ever have had this problem.

3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Yes they are.

I actually submitted more than one bug report about this and they just tell me they can't reproduce the specific example despite my report mentioning the UI is broken.

They clearly don't care about it.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Of course they care about it. But probably have to just do their best with the staff that team has, finger speed is finite.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I agree, I am sure they care given how long they have spent building up collab into what it is, and the plans they have for it.

You can get around this by doing push and pull from history window for now

Was just interested in the prevalence of this issue as I thought it was everywhere but now I see not the case

6. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Well here are the bugs I've got today.

Can't use collaborate because the activation button disappears. Who designed this? o_O

Once I finally made it works (don't ask me how, I have no idea) I was still stuck sending the end of a failed commit.

I still can't do it because the collaborate windows is stuck on "finalizing upload" and there is no way to send data outside of this window. If it's stuck, which happens all the time, the only way is to restart collaborate and go through an other check for changes. Of course, if the activate button is missing, you can't do that and have to restart unity entirely.

Because of this I can't send anything from an other computer because as long as the commit isn't finalized you can't receive the data and send your own. As a result, collaborate was down all week because a coworker unknowingly sent a failed commit before going on vacations. And now I'm trying to make it work again instead of doing my job.

None of this is new or unexpected, it has been common and know by unity for more than a year. The UI is a mess and combined with other bugs and issues make that service a piece of ****. So yeah, i can say they don't care because the fact is, they don't do anything about it.

And being understaffed as you seem to suggest is no excuse. Collaborate isn't a free service, users are paying for support and Unity isn't delivering it.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

This could be funny. Too bad this is how I make a living. :rolleyes:

hippocoder likes this.
  8. T5Shared

T5Shared

Hah, I got that 'up to date' while I do have changes yesterday for the first time (as far I can remember). Only once so far.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 01.15.10.png

Yeaaah...

This would've been funny if it wasn't happening since the service was in beta. Finger speed is finite and I'm sure they are working on things, but as an end user I have hardly seen any improvements happen to this service.

It's still messy, it still has workflows that are horrible (here's a mind-teaser: how do you rollback to a version of your project that was in a previous Unity version?) and the UI is still horrible to use.

10. T5Shared

T5Shared

Nothing there I disagree with, Nick, hopefully we will start seeing some improvements soon.

11. Modimage

Modimage

Improving on something that bad isn't hard but if they intended to, that would have been done a long time ago.

Here is what I have to deal with. Absolutely everything is broken on this UI.

12. Finntroll1

Finntroll1

Happens all the time and has since i started using Unity 1 year ago..

13. In2Play

In2Play

Same problem here. It's so annoying and still hasn't been fixed.

14. timmy2get

timmy2get

Same issue here, no apparent reason, restart fixes it...
    Oh, Unity, so many beautiful and complex things, but getting this to work....Noooooo, I think it's time to add memes options to the forum, because this issue is a meme of its own....

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi everyone. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues syncing changes with Collab. If you can provide more details about what exactly isn't syncing properly, along with which versions of Unity and Collaborate you are using and what error messages you are seeing in the Collab Toolbar, Console or Editor.log, then we can start trying to figure out how to fix it.

@timmy2get, how often doe you run into this sync issue? Do restarts fix it every time or are there times where it doesn't fix it?

16. ceitel

ceitel

Ryan,

The Collab blue up-arrow drop-down icon clearly indicates that there have been changes (and I know that there have been changes) but when you click the drop-down you are presented with "You are up to date!" with the green check-mark with no option to commit changes (see images from other users in earlier posts, mine is doing the same thing that AcidArrow's is doing).

Restarting has thus far worked every time for me.

I am currently using Collab by myself between my desktop and laptop so I will push from one of them, sync from the others, and so on. This becomes very cumbersome when I'm constantly having to restart Unity.

Using 2019.2.14f1 Personal

Thanks,

Chad

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi Chad, thank you for the additional info! I understand how annoying that is and the team has updated the UX frontend entirely in 2020.1 to address these types of issues.

In the meantime, we'd like to address this issue for 2019.3 and earlier, if possible. How often does the Collab Toolbar get out of sync with the state of your project? How many commits do you check in each day and how often do you sync your project across both machines?

18. stack86

stack86

I am constantly getting this issue, also several times a day just as the OP is. Am baffled why Unity hasn't just added the simple fix as suggested, just literally a refresh button we can press so we don't have to restart.

(Version 2019.4.1f1)

19. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @stack86, this UI issue is addressed in the newer version of the Collaborate UI in Unity 2020.1+. We'll look into adding a refresh option for the older UI.