Search Unity

Does anyone else get a buzzing sound from their speakers

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rickblacker, Apr 1, 2017.

1. rickblacker

rickblacker

Perhaps it's the type of audio I have attached to my computer, Yamaha monitors and a Roland Octa Capture, but when I'm in unity and run a scene, I get a buzzing sound out of my monitors. Higher the FPS, the faster the frequency of the buzz, lower the framerate, lower the frequency of the buzz.

I realize it must be some kind of electromagnetic interference, but was wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this and have been able to get past it.

ElektroFox likes this.
  2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Interesting... to make sure it isn't a software issue, go into the Volume Mixer and mute Unity's sound, then see if the issue persists.

I'm thinking Unity might be passing that sound to the speakers. If it was electromagnetic interference, Unity wouldn't necessarily be causing more or less of it. To check, you could move the cables of your speakers and the speakers themselves as far away from your computer and power cables as possible.

You could make a cool mixtape by creating a script to lower FPS at certain key presses to change the pitch of the buzz ;)

3. rickblacker

rickblacker

I don't have any audio in my game yet. But, I did go into Edit -> Project Settings -> Audio Manager. From there I turned "Global Volume" from 1 down to 0. I still hear the buzzing sound.

In the past, I have moved my cables around. No change. I was hoping my motherboard/CPU and video card upgrade would somehow magically fix it. It did somewhat help in design mode. If I pan around, the buzzing starts, if I stop panning, the buzzing slows down and will eventually stop. I don't hear it as bad anymore. But in play mode it's very obnoxious.

4. Torches

Torches

Have you found a fix for this issue? I am having the same exact problem all the way down to the change in pitch and frequency with the change in FPS. I don't believe it to be a hardware issue as this only happens in Unity. This also happens after compiling the game and playing it on other computers.

5. tanuchan

tanuchan

me too :(

YouTube on Chrome: no noise
    Unity edit scene :when I drag left click or always when I hold right click
    Unity play scene : always

Unity version 2019.3.5
    Speaker: Taotronics TT-SK018 (connected via 3.5mm jack)

Interesting is that when I put the speaker jack to something metal or my hand, the player plays noise, but that's also only when Unity is running!!

6. HoeskyNator

HoeskyNator

Also have this issue

7. a_roberts

a_roberts

I'm getting the same issue. I thought it might be a problem with some plug-in in the Unity project, or some other spectre (it's a team project, so lots of people are touching the unity editor). After reading some of these other posts, I'm beginning to think it's a Unity issue

8. ElektroFox

ElektroFox

Same issue, fresh project, HDRP. If I hold either mouse button and drag, I get a buzzing from inside my computer. If I hit play in the editor window it just buzzes constantly. It's absolutely not speakers. Very strange, Unity is the only thing installed that does this.

9. Matiasbru

Matiasbru

Same problem here

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This is caused by graphics card coil whine, and is entirely a hardware issue. It is more noticeable if you are running at a high FPS since the frequency is closer to the range humans are more sensitive. With a pretty empty Unity project, and vsync disabled, then FPS can be incredibly high. With vsync enabled but using a high refresh monitor, you may also experience more of this.

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59535#:~:text=Coil whine is simply the,rim of a wine glass.

A better isolated sound card may improve or eliminate the issue, but you should investigate this yourself.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    sas67uss and PraetorBlue like this.
  11. Lesniewski

Lesniewski

Yeah, this seems to be connected with GPU and high fps/editor refresh rate. What helped me was setting Interaction mode to Monitor Refresh Rate:
    upload_2020-12-22_12-26-22.png

12. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

You do not know how long I've been trying to find a fix for this. I always thought it was my video card failing!

13. EEngvall

EEngvall

100% have been looking for a fix for the coil whine forever! Changed this setting and it disappeared completely. Thank you!

14. sas67uss

sas67uss

It seems if using the headphone this noise will be reducing .

15. djooryabi

djooryabi

I would also like to thank you for this solution! It's kind of embarrassing, but I bought a whole new desktop a while ago just because of this reason. If I had known the solution was this simple....

16. Shmitter

Shmitter

Coming back at the end of 2022 to say thanks for this also, this is what fixed it for me! I tried limiting FPS in Unity via NVIDIA's control panel, and making a frame rate limiting C# script and attaching it to all object, and none of that worked. This did! Thank you kind stranger!

17. goldenaccone

goldenaccone

Best Working Solution

18. thorbenitez

thorbenitez

Works! Thanks for this!

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

This did not work for me, but setting framerate via script helped enough for me to not notice it with music/youtube playing. I'm not sure why I never noticed the issue before, or what changed for me to notice it now.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class Framerate : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    6.     void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         Application.targetFrameRate = 60;
    9.     }
    10. }