Search Unity

Does Addressable build log show Build Report?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by PhuongND, Jan 14, 2020.

1. PhuongND

PhuongND

I checked build log when build addressable asset bundle but can't find Build report like build player in log. Does Addressable 1.5 show that kind of log ? like this one
    download.png

phobos2077 and isaac-ashdown like this.
  2. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

I would also be interested in a way of profiling addressable or asset bundle size and the assets that get built into each bundle. The Resources list that's printed when making building the Player is certainly good enough for most purposes.

3. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

He @PhuongND, I'll send this post over for you to see if a member of the team can point you in the right direction!

4. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Addressables does indeed not show any build report and one official Unity member reply on this forum was that all APIs to make something like this should be available. But I wouldn't see how/where.

Can someone of the Addressables team please clarify how we can make a usefull build report log?
    We need to see e.g. that the textures are taking up 900mb, just like in the useful default editor.log example as linked above.

Xarbrough likes this.
  5. farshidhss2

farshidhss2

Yes this is a huge problem for us. Addressable build gets stuck and we have no way to find out what is going wrong. This is wasting so much time :(

Streamfall likes this.
  6. BurningToad

BurningToad

I'm looking for information like this as well - which assets exactly are being included and their sizes.

7. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Bump, this still a major pain to miss any build size insights when using addressables.

For us this is the only missing feature when using Addressables for standalone/mobile/console builds.

8. phobos2077

phobos2077

Bump. Any update on this?

joaobsneto and zengames-e-vlasov like this.
  9. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

Unity should have a channel to report users of new features and FAQ. The forum communication is so ineffective in some cases. Any update on this?

10. miracletechteam1

miracletechteam1

Bump. Any update on this?

11. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Still not available, plus Unity has never even commented on this issue.

For us this is the clearest examples of where Unity is really dropping the ball and letting Unreal beat them.
    Unity clearly never uses or tests their own tools on actual games; You cannot release any professional games without bumping into this issue.

Note: I do love the Addressables system, please don't torture us by delivering the Addressables system incompletely (or even deprecating it :/).

phobos2077 likes this.
  12. phobos2077

phobos2077

Well I've got bad news for you. If you read some of their posts, they are aware of how poorly designed Addressables are and already designing version 2.0 which will replace the current version and require some kind of code rewrite. If only they tried actually using it for developing a working game (stop feeding us with these useless tech demos!!!)...

Couldn't agree more with your message. Unity is getting kicked in the gut this year by Unreal and others again and again. Yet they still continue to disappoint. Full C# support is the only thing keeping this engine from being abandoned by many...

13. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

I'm having the same disillusion as you guys, and it's hard to find jobs with Unity. Every decent game company build their own engine that is writing in C++ or use Unreal.
    Unreal is not perfect, it has a lot of flaws, but now may be a good time to migrate.

Jelmer123 likes this.
  14. phobos2077

phobos2077

Well it's a bit off-topic but in my area there are more Unity jobs now than ever. They might be loosing the game for noob-devs, or graphics-focused games, but it's still THE engine of choice for Mobile (which is now like the larger half of the whole industry). Not to mention 2D capabilities which Unreal lacks.

Unreal is great as a finished product, but for a long-term serious development, IMHO, it's a pain in the ass. The engine is very poorly designed, built upon ancient legacy code, uses weird mix of obsolete 90's style of C++ with custom "wheel reinvented" kind of preprocessing. Creating editor tools (which is a big part of any serious project) is a huge pain compared to Unity.

I might be completely wrong, but my current understanding is:

- Unreal is great right now, but doomed to fail unless they rewrite it from scratch (because modern clean code always wins in the end).
    - Unity is complete crap to start with, but for a competent team it's still has no real competition for what it's good at. Everything is in flux and subject to change.
    - I expect a big new player to enter the stage, because of the above flaws there are an unfulfilled demand for a project with Unreal level of quality and Unity level of productivity and customization, while being written for modern games from scratch.

joaobsneto likes this.
  15. cdr9042

cdr9042

So this depends on your setting, in my case, I use default setting for my android build. My addressable build file is located in <project path>/Library/com.unity.addressables/StreamingAssetsCopy/aa/Android. There is a .bundle file inside and its size could tell me how large the addressable build is

16. Skrimel

Skrimel

Bump! Unity Team, we miss you

17. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Hey all! I'm going to flag this thread with the team again, see if I can chase down some insight to share.

Jelmer123 and MikeHergaarden like this.
  18. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks, we still really need this badly to fix OOM issues on various platforms and download sizes mostly on mobile platforms.

19. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, so I wanted to give a couple of suggestions.
    I understand this option won't work for those of you having issues during the build. Unfortunately I don't have good solutions for those of you facing that problem. At the very least I'd file a bug so the Scriptable Build Pipeline team can look at it. If the build is hanging indefinitely or crashing or something it could very well be a SBP problem.

glenneroo, DoN2kcz and joaobsneto like this.
  20. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

That build report option was exactly what I needed! had no clue this was already available and a setting we'd need to find under the Preferences.

TreyK-47 likes this.
  21. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I thought the same thing when first looking at it, but then couldn't use it that easily in practice.

For example, I needed to find out which textures are the largest or whether it makes sense to compress audio more. I also wanted to play around with some settings and compare two builds.

To help myself I implement a hacky tool that parses the file and sorts and groups entries by their type and size. Another version of the file is ordered by asset file path so that its easier to compare to versions in a diff tool. But the custom solution is incomplete and based on some hacky assumptions.

I would hope Unity improves on this soon and provides a complete build report for Addressables.

glenneroo, Ceylan12 and phobos2077 like this.
  22. bearcoree

bearcoree

A year and a half later, there's still no tool to view the build results of an addressable bundle file?

If at least the Build Layout Report was sorted by file size, that would make it so much more useable.

Is the best solution really still to do a hacky parse of the buildlayout.txt?

Why is there no way to get the data it gets generated from in c#?

Edit: I implemented it myself here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/addressable-build-analyzer.1323738/

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    glenneroo likes this.
  23. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

bearcoree likes this.