Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Does a ProBuilderMesh require a MeshRenderer and MeshFilter?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by sballew7, Jun 1, 2021.

1. sballew7

sballew7

Hi all,

I currently am generating meshes from code. I am using a class called MeshDraft, which is basically just a list of vertices, triangles, and UVs that I can later use to create a Mesh.

I create a top-level MeshDraft, then iterate over a 3d grid of "tiles". Each tile build returns its own MeshDraft, which the top-level MeshDraft then adds in to the master list. Once done, the top-level MeshDraft gets built into a Mesh and assigned to the MeshFilter.

I want to switch to using ProBuilder for this generation. I planned on having a top-level ProBuilderMesh, and have each tile return its own ProBuilderMesh. Then I'd use a CombineMeshes operation to join it to the top-level mesh.

However it looks like ProBuilderMesh assumes a 1-1 mapping with a MeshRenderer and MeshFilter. I don't want a renderer or filter for all the tile meshes I'm building. It also looks like just creating a ProBuilderMesh will actually create a GameObject, when really I just want to generate a bunch of meshes that ultimately get combined into the single top-level GameObject.

Am I going against the grain by wanting to produce a bunch of ProBuilderMesh instances that all get combined into a single top-level one?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

unityunity