Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

does 2D now do isometric?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 2, 2018.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

couldn't find a setting in 2017.3 and can't be bothered sifting through all the threads

2. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

2D Camera with 3D art becomes isometric easily.
    But you can go for 2D Camera with 2D isometric art too becomes isometric.

Thanks.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yeah i know but I'm talking about this mess I don't want to deal with, was wondering if it's handled by unity now, and also tilemaps, not sure they deal with the isometricness of things

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No its not.

I had to write scripts to handle isometric sorting etc.

If waiting on 2D features, i suggest you abandon your project. After 18 months waiting for basic 2D features we cancelled our project.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Ouch, there was no asset that worked for you?
    If isometric doesn't appear in 2018.1 beta (which seems to be the case), I'll make it flat 2d instead.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The problem with relying on 3rd party assets for a big commercial release is that you have no guarantee the asset will remain supported, compatible and not take up a lot of your time learning / updating it yourself to make it useful.

In 2017 (and every year before tbh) it shouldnt have been okay for one of the biggest game engines to do 2D so poorly. Still is now.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

What's so poor about unity 2d, apart from no isometric support?

8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Lack of smart sprite support, creating modern 2D graphics is hard when your limited to just tile based art. Look at games like rayman origins and legends, to get that kind of art you NEED smart sprite style capabilities.

Then there is the fact that they bought anima2D but failed to add in FFD support and still does not have FFD support, meaning its useless for any 2D rigs that require true skinning.

Its 2018 and unity still has 2014 2D tech, yet Unity is the main engine used to make 2D games. Feels a bit like 2D developers are under-appreciated!

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

No deformation? Waaaa that's crazy. forget 2014, we got 1990s 2d

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

That's a choice you made, and it didn't work out. It's not someone elses fault, it's yours. Learn from it.

The 2D tools in Unity are regularly improved and numerous very successful titles have used the 2D system. If you expect every single thing to be handed to you then you will never get anything done, 100% of things not included in the basic editor are your responsibility to develop and no one is forcing a team to keep up to date with the latest Unity version and risk breaking the project. Version locking is a thing for a reason.

Isometric games can be made in both 2D and 3D so if you want to make one then actually trying to do it would probably be more effective than waiting for someone to hand you a magical tool that does everything you want for free.

mh114 likes this.
  11. orb

orb

Ubisoft have their own editor/engine (the UbiArt Framework) for Rayman Origins. Most Unity developers who need some new capability add it themselves too.

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I just tried Anima2d and it is very usable, give it a shot.
    You can slice sprites, the IK is good and convenient to have in-editor, it does skinning well. It's got a bug where you can't undo after apply, maybe that's an asset thing. And yeah no lattice deformation. I'll just keep the look minimalist, Klei style and even go segmented, that's less work.
    https://i.imgur.com/dYb0AMO.gifv

This guy is off to a good start, and we're only the 5th day of the new year... :D

A few years ago when Rayman came out, Spine was going to add rayman-like spline deformation, not in there yet I think. But yeah regarding custom function vs off the shelf, it's a choice based on skill and focus. I don't know about @Daemonhahn but me, I know that my editor coding skill is poor and it would take me a long time to add the functions that I want, so instead I focus on game logic.