Search Unity

Documentation

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by col000r, Feb 20, 2019.

1. col000r

col000r

What's the plan for handling Documentation?
    I figured out that I can simply include Documentation~/[name].md in the package and it will then open that file when I click on the Documentation link in the Package Manager. BUT, how do I view that? Even if I open it in a browser, it just displays the source...

2. mathieur

mathieur

Unity Technologies

This is certainly on our radar, and we are looking at the possibilities for third party scenarios, but there is currently nothing available yet. We still need to sort through all the minutiae of the issue, such as where it could be hosted, making the tooling to generate it locally available, etc...

3. col000r

col000r

To be honest: for now I'd be happy if I could just give it a url in package.json and it would go there when I click the documentation link. - The most basic things can be communicated in the description and people are used to looking up tool documentation online anyway.

But if you figure out some sort of solution for a built-in offline-documentation-viewer, I'm also not saying no... :)

4. bddckr

bddckr

Support for the regular npm package.json fields homepage, bugs and repository would be great for this, too (I know UPM isn't npm).

5. mathieur

mathieur

Unity Technologies

I agree that a documentation link override might be a good idea with low cost. I will propose it to the team.

We do support the repository field as an object with the fields type, revision and url.

col000r and bddckr like this.