Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Documentation link missing from main Unity web menu?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by syscrusher, Feb 7, 2019.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

If I recall, Documentation used to be linked under Learn from the main menu. That doesn't seem to be true any more, nor could I find it anywhere else in that menu tree. Either I've overlooked it (apologies if so!), or it's missing now.

That was a really helpful link if I wanted to look up an API or topic but didn't happen to have Unity running, or was on a tablet or netbook where Unity isn't installed. Please bring back a prominent documentation link.

2. syscrusher

syscrusher

Fair enough, but it's awfully far down the page, below some large graphics, for something so basic and essential.

I'll give you that one -- since the docs are officially from the company, I didn't look in Community because that's basically about user-created content.

Again, point granted, but I'd still assert that the manuals for a complex piece of software are important enough to deserve a direct link from the main menu, alongside the other learning resources like Tutorials and Courses. I mean, if someone is willing to actually RTFM, isn't a good idea to make "M" very easy to locate?

3. I won't argue with you on this one, and I do not remember whether if it was in the upper menu ever or not, so whatever. I can just tell you that my workflow (I believe majority of the people's, who actually take the time to research any problems ever instead of going straight to the forum or answers) is to open a tab on browser (chrome) and just type "<keyword>(s) manual unity" and go straight from the google. I don't remember when I landed on the manual open page last time (when I didn't go there through changing version in the documentation), it was probably in 2013-4 or something.

syscrusher likes this.
  4. syscrusher

syscrusher

Different work habits, then. I tended to use the link from unity3d.com main page a lot. If I was in a small minority, then okay, I'll change the way I work.