Search Unity

Official Docs: We need your feedback!

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by jmunozarUTech, Jan 20, 2021.

?

Which parts of the docs should we focus on?

1. API Examples and better explanation on methods

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. More real life examples i.e occlusion, interfacing with proxies, etc

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Better organized TOC, more of a general TOC instead of granular titles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. More modular software development guide

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. More visible explanation of main concepts

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hello Unity MARS Community,

We are reassessing the content of the Unity MARS documentation and are looking for feedback and suggestions.

We would like to hear from you what we’re doing well, what areas we can improve, and what are the pain points or challenges you come across when checking the docs and/or understanding concepts.

We’ve added a poll to this thread and would like for you to “vote” to share which area of our documentation is the most important for us to focus on first.

If you find there is something that we didn't include in the poll, just comment in the thread and we’ll take it into consideration as well.

Let us know!

The Unity MARS team

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

The first thing I'd suggest is double-checking that all the "?" points in each MARS component links to the right page.

Dirrogate, jmunozarUTech and mtschoen like this.
  3. atlterry

atlterry

I'm just starting with MARS and completely lost.... why spend $600/year and not have any examples or learning videos to get started. I'm most interested in geo fencing and I can't find any resources to learn or have an example scene to test out and build on.

Hope someone has some suggestions... Thanks

4. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Hi Terry,

I recommend getting used to the proxy or ruleset workflows before diving into geofencing (not required, but it will make your life easier).

At that point, you add a 'geo fence condition' to a proxy so that it only activates when it is within a specified area. You'll also need to set up the GeoLocation module, but the condition will guide you through any steps you need to take:

upload_2021-2-10_23-27-54.png

Any proxy will do - it could be a surface, the user, and so on.

5. abigailmathews

abigailmathews

Even some of the most fundamental aspects of the documentation are inaccurate.

Check the first sentence of the Installation section of the Getting Started guide --

> You can install MARS through the package manager.

From what I can see, the only installation option for Mars continues to be via the downloaded package in your user account, and I find no mention of Mars in the package manager, even when including preview packages.

I'm using 2019.3, which is the latest fully supported version with Mars, and it's possible that the installation with the package manager is correct for 2020.1. But if so, this difference should be noted in the docs. If the first step in the 'Getting Started' doesn't work, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

As another user mentioned above, I'd really like to see more video content of Mars in action -- I found the webinars Unity conducted gave a much better sense of how to use the tool effectively than trying to read through the docs and imagine what I should be doing.

6. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

hello @abigailmathews, Thanks for the feedback!, we are currently working on a complete redesign of the guide on how to install MARS that will make it more clear on each step to successfully install and run an initial project.

With regards to the package manager, you have to install MARS through the downloaded package provided to you; then it will show up through the package manager. Still the correct way to update/install MARS as for now is through said package. Hence the reason the package manager is not mentioned in the getting started guide.

I was checking the Getting started guide and cannot find anywhere the sentence "You can install MARS through the package manager" https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mars@1.3/manual/GettingStarted.html where did you see this, perhaps on an old version of the docs?

Again thanks! :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  7. abigailmathews

abigailmathews

Ah, this was really my mistake -- for some reason the Manual I was looking at defaulted to version 1.0.1, rather than the current version.

Since I've used Mars previously (I'm going through the starter information to give it a closer look) I wasn't that confused, luckily.

I'm looking forward to seeing the updated materials, as well as any additional Mars resources -- I see that there's a lot of potential here, but I feel like I'm having trouble unlocking it because I don't understand how all the pieces fit together, yet.

Thanks for the response!

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  8. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

I've looked, and I was unable to find anything new. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.
    Are there more detailed docs on how to make one's own simulated environment properly? I am trying to make a POC for a shopping mall client, but I can't get the environment to work in the way the default ones do in the Sim View and Device View.

9. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

10. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Yes, I found that a while back.
    Right now it appears that the "Add to Synthetic Environments" button is greyd out. While the object appears in the list, when I select it, nothing appears. (we're no longer talking docs... if you want to move this part of this thread I'll understand)

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  11. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

that's a good idea so everyone that has a similar issue in the future can find about it, can you create another thread and we can take it from there? I will check with the team in the meantime