Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use development 'cheats' in your games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andymads, Dec 17, 2015.

1. andymads

andymads

I do. I couldn't work without them. For me, it's one of the first things that goes into a new project.

I have 2 main systems.

(1) Controls in Inspector:

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 07.40.45.png

(2) A 'control panel' that can be brought up in the game in editor or device (3 finger touch on device):

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 07.42.37.png

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I start a lot of my games with extra 'developer' money. It makes no sense trying to play test late stages of the game by getting through all of the early stages each time.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yup, they are pretty much not optional for large or complex games for the reasons @BoredMormon said. You have to fix/tweak something that takes a couple of minutes, only to spend 10 minutes getting to point in the game to test it, gets really old fast.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Especially if you suck at playing your own game and have to make several attempts to pass level one. ;)

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ours are pretty much like the sims style one. 3 finger tap (on device, ctrl +tab in editor) brings up a console where you can enter cheats / macros that mod the game state or apply data patches. We just add new ones as needed. When cut submission builds, the entire functionally is stripped out for release.

6. ippdev

ippdev

Gads.. I don't play games as I am so fed up with playing games...and stopping to tweak this, that and the other. I always enjoy a new project until I then don't. Same story every project. It would be nice to play something I made without ever having played it prior to get a fresh look at it.

Kiwasi and N1warhead like this.
  7. darkhog

darkhog

But why? Can't you just remove some too OP ones and add few "funny" cheats (big heads, etc.)?

Anyway, I don't think I need any cheats for my game, but if I will I'll add them. And if I don't, before release I'll add some funny ones.

8. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

yes i did that a lot. its really helpful. you dont want to play whole level just to test the achievement screen.. or you dont have to kill x amount of monsters to test the drop rate..

9. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's kind of a "must have" during development for all of the reasons people have mentioned.
    It'd be a huge waste of time to actually have to play through the bulk of the game to test later areas or even just wander around to test a new area you added.

In my current Christmas project when the player moves through a certain passage they enter stage one of the main gameplay. The first thing I did was to make it so when the game begins the player no longer starts outside their house and now starts a few pixels away from the passage. And the passage itself now leads to the second gameplay area because that is the area I am currently working on and testing. Later they may enter the passage and magically appear halfway through this stage. Anything you can do to save time during development is a must for us hobbyist game devs with limited time. Well for anyone really hobbyist or pro.

Kiwasi and IllogicalGames like this.
  10. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

yea totally agree with this. this is what i meant. also when testing your game, you want to avoid to play the same level again and again it might make you become better at that level, and when you are better, you feel the game is easy, thus u increase its difficulty to match your own skill.

Kiwasi and GarBenjamin like this.
  11. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I do use chests. I even have a great window named inspector (Editor only) for that :p

12. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Yeah, cheats are useful. My company uses "cheats" to test offline functions.

13. mayasim

mayasim

ya but the excitement of Mod or cheated game ends when it become nlimited.Fun and thrill is always with impossible games not modded games.

14. QFSW

QFSW

I have cheats so that i can test the game at higher scores, or quickly spawn a new asteroid or power up

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

What is the cheats you are talking about? Is it the cheat codes in games or something else?

16. QFSW

QFSW

Programming debug features or 'cheats' that we can use in the editor or development versions for testing

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

18. Stardog

Stardog

I use ContextMenu a lot so I can run functions by right-clicking the script.

19. BFGames

BFGames

We are using an in-game console in our newest game. Impossible to test more complex games without any help.

We can give all items in game to your character, spawn special npcs, set day time, complete objectives, travel around the game world, set stats for you and npcs and so much more. We used an asset store asset as a base. It works amazing.

An example, i write something like this when it need an item or need to travel:

giveItem Rifle Kim 1,
    giveItem Cheese Kim 67,
    travel 6 17 false

IllogicalGames likes this.
  20. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

if you are doing any type of RPG, you must have an insta-kill button.

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Tell that to the developers of Gradius... ;) (That's Konami I think)

As for myself, I haven't found the need to use "development cheats." yet. there's probably going to be some project in future where I might need them.
    That reminds me of the GBA Crash Nitro Kart... :p (Lunar Gravity was hilarious to play with!)

22. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I usually design my games scene-by-scene; I set up scenes to be able to work independently of each other with a configurable state. When a scene is good enough, I lock it down by way of removing the object that initializes the state (my "Ambassador" object, specifically.)

IllogicalGames likes this.
  23. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

that is interesting way to work around.