Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really need money to make a good game in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Konniskatt, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Konniskatt

Konniskatt

Hi, I've been wondering that, if it really takes money to make a good game.
    For example I'm making a racing game, but the problem is that making a city by hand is complicated and time consuming. There are some very good generators like CScape, but, well, they cost money and are kind of expensive. Also other tools I need like EasyRoads. It has a free version, but it is very limited. And many other good assets that cost money.

2. LurkingNinjaDev

LurkingNinjaDev

You need resources to make games. A lot of resources.

Resources in this context are:
    - time
    - (wo)manpower
    - money

You can choose.
    - Do you have time to learn and raise your proficiency to be able to do the work and then do the actual work? Nice, you won't spend money.
    - Do you have the (wo)manpower to do it? Fellow developers? Nice, give them the task to do it.
    - Do you have the money to solve the problem and you found a decent solution but you don't have the time and/or the manpower yourself? Nice, pay the price and call the day.

You don't need money to make a decent game (depends on the graphics and audio quality of course, or the programming if you're not a software-junkie), but it helps because it allows you to make shortcuts if you're clever and you can choose wisely.

3. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

You do not need money to make a game. I remember a story of a homeless guy who learned to code from the library and built his game and launched it and became someone successful, at least got himself off the street.

Using the asset store is not required to make a great game. Those assets there are what people have developed due to a perceived need of such assets.

Fact is you do not need any of them to make a successful game.

You need passion, drive and will to learn and keep on learning.

You can make everything on asset store yourself with right knowledge. Those people who created the assets were once just like you, they hard to learn their craft.

The way I look at the asset store is:

How long will it take me to do the same thing? (can I code my own tool faster than just dropping some $$ on something already created so I focus on my actual game code?)

Is this a complex system designed to be all for everyone? (these assets tend to be full of bloat and do not generally play well with pre-built projects not build around the system the asset uses)

Is this a want more than a need? (ignore impulse buys just because it looks cool or is on sale or you think you might need it down the road)

How much is your time worth? Do you know how to do what you need to do? Sometimes an asset will show you a way on how to do something.

There are so many free things out there the only thing holding you back from releasing a game is you.

Never stop learning and challenging yourself.

(See someone posted above me while I was writing and it seams we both said the same things different ways so there you have it)

4. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

if you have a set of limitations, like limited money, time or skills, you just have to limit your game idea to something thats possible for you
    this may be hard for someone new to development, so start really really small and get a feel for what can be done solo, and where your limits are right now.
    don't try to tackle something too big, most likely you won't finish it ever

btw, not to shatter your believesystem, but things on the asset store are dirt cheap compared to hiring someone to do this for you. or even to build it yourself. its only going to get more expensive from here on out if you need to buy licenses, custom art or anything of that, so keep that in mind while thinking up a game idea

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

To reiterate basically what others have said....

Beyond drive, to make a game you need time, skill and knowledge. That’s it. Money can be used to augment/improve any of those 3 things.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Game making is a rich persons pass time. For starters you need to have enough money to live while you are making the game. This includes food, shelter, clothing, all of that basic stuff.

Which is why you will find most game developers either do it for someone else with money. They get a job working for a company that makes games. Or they have someone else supporting them. A wife/husband or parents who don't mind paying for the dev to live while they make games. Or they save up for a long time in a day job first.

Ultimately making good games takes a lot of time. And in order to have time to spend on games, you need money.

Kemonono and angrypenguin like this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you possess all the skills needed to create all of the content in your game, and possess all the time needed to create all that content, then your cost to develop could be $0.

How much money you need to create a game is generally determined by the cost of paying others for their contribution to the project (assuming you are otherwise self sufficient financially). Generally there will be areas where for either time or quality reasons you would want to have someone else create some of the content.

8. Konniskatt

Konniskatt

Thanks to all your answers guys... Now I see that my game is too dificult and requires too much money (which I doesn't have even a penny). So I'll have to give up my game, I always wanted to make a game like the one I'm making. I'll see if I can start with something simpler....
    Thanks.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's a true story as far as I can tell, but it's also a misleading one if the context isn't understood.

If it's the same guy, he lost his job (which sucks - no argument there) and then deliberately chose to be homeless so that he didn't need a job to pay rent, and could thus spend more time on his games. To me, the most important bit is this:

Or work part time and make games part time. It's a compromise, for sure, but you can definitely support yourself on less than a full time wage in many parts of the world.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Can you describe your game?

While I don't any more, I have in the past made games on a $0 budget (excluding tools and living expenses).

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just keep in mind that while making a game may not cost anything it definitely costs money to publish it to the stores that the vast majority of your potential customers will be on. Google's Play Store is the cheapest at $25. Steam is a bit worse at $100 but you're still only paying a one time fee with them. Apple's App Store is likely the worst at $99 per year.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Ideally, yes, to employ skilled people. Otherwise it's sort of like creating heaven and earth by hand, alone, without the superpowers.

Of course it depends on the game. Flappy bird? No problem. A big, interesting city to drive and walk around in? Much more difficult.

Of course, you can try to attain superpowers by invoking procedural generation. But it's a long dark road, without any guarantee that the result will be pretty.

13. QFSW

QFSW

Sony would like to have a word with you about the most expensive :|

Ryiah likes this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Totally forgot about the consoles. The Xbox Live Creators Program is only $19 for an individual ($99 for a company).

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

It all depends on skills (ability to do things), tastes (ability to make thing coherent) and flair (ability to connect with the now of an audience), and a bit of luck, but luck decrease as market saturate, and I think game are in saturation now.

16. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Money = Time.
    Absolutely, you need a lots of time.

Kiwasi likes this.
  17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We buy all art assets from various places, artstation, turbosquid, cgtrader and Unity Asset store.

We code all behaviours ourself except some stuff that we have bought, like final IK.

It's absolutely possible to make a full game on a pretty low budget. I haven't calculated how much money we have spent but it's just a few thousand dollars.

18. Konniskatt

Konniskatt

Was a racing game.

19. neoshaman

neoshaman

What kind of racing game? It's anything from mariokart to blur to the crew 2 or micro machine

angrypenguin likes this.
  20. Konniskatt

Konniskatt

well, i don't know, was just a regular boring and a mediocre racing game

21. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well then that's super easy and don't cost a lot lol, if it's mediocre and boring, you can just make whataver :p

If you know how to code, you can have a very decent still mediocre result in no time :D Polish and standing from the crowd is what takes time :rolleyes:

angrypenguin likes this.
  22. Konniskatt

Konniskatt

yeah, I have good skills at code, but no skills at 3d modelling, no skills at composing music
    you have skills at all, but if you have money, well, no problem

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sounds like you have a way to make money and you're just not using it.

24. QFSW

QFSW

Yeah, Xbox one seems to be the cheapest out of the consoles. ID@XBOX is free if you get in

25. neoshaman

neoshaman

If you have good skills at code then you have good analytical skills, start with teh basics of your game:
    - it's a racing game
    - in a city
    - it has road obviously

Start with a prototype first:
    - get the physics you want, all sorts of racing physics is largely documented (arcade or not), you just have to find the docs by googling youtube and regular google (I did that once, I know they exist and are in depth)

- is it on a circuit and is that circuit close or open
    - is it a checkpoint base racing game?
    - is an open world racing game (has a start and a beginning, figure out the best path to go from one to the other)?
    Above question will impact how you the graphism and to what degree, if you have a circuit base racing, you won't need intersection and geometry far the circuit can be greatly simplified. But for prototyping just painting a rough ugly road on the terrain is sufficient.

- Prototype city can just be made of basic unity terrain, cube, etc ...
    - learn how to code spline and your 3D modeling need will be covered by 33%
    - learn to draw with code on texture and terrain heightmap data.
    - place everything with code and a few guiding objects
    - generate most texture with code, dirt and asphalt are very noise friendly, house have regular pattern that can be mathematically describe for most part
    - even the terrain details heighmap can be procedurally generated and you just draw the overall loose mass

If you get that far, going further won't be a problem.

zombiegorilla likes this.