Search Unity

Do you really have to drag objects around the scene?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by warrenbrandt, Mar 11, 2018.

1. warrenbrandt

warrenbrandt

Do you really have to drag objects around the scene? is there no way to click on an object...move to another area and make the object appear there...surely...its so time consuming having to drag things around...no basics tutorials tell you how...

thanks

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You can drag the object in the scene view, or you can type new coordinates in the Inspector.

3. warrenbrandt

warrenbrandt

thanks joe...i tried typing in new coordinates but some objects just dont let you...why would that be?

there really should be a cut and paste hot key ...ridiculous...

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No idea. I've never run into that.

There are (the standard cmd-X to cut, cmd-V to paste on Mac, or equivalents on other platforms). But it cuts/pastes the entire object, with all its properties intact, including its position and rotation. I for one wouldn't want it to do anything else... if I want an object at a different position, I'll darn well put it there; I don't want it moving just because of where the scene view camera happens to be when I hit Paste.

Schneider21 likes this.
  5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Select the object in the Hierarchy or in the Scene view. Move the Scene view camera to look at where you want the object to be, then select GameObject -> Move To View. I'm not positive on the specifics of how and exactly where it moves the object, but it should get it close to where you want, after which you can fine tune it.

Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  6. orb

orb

How else would drag and drop work than…dragging and dropping?

Ryiah likes this.
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you have noticed something that seems like an inconvenience regarding standard workflow, chances are there are tools to get around that. Remember, people are lazy and aren't going to put up with very much tedium.

Also, moving objects around in your scene -- this is basic viewport navigation stuff. You'll save yourself a lot of time and headache by doing the Unity 101 tutorials in the learn section. Even if you are a smart, experienced programmer, it's worth doing these just so you don't waste time and effort having to figure out basic viewport navigation, etc.

If you refuse to do that, at least poke around the menu's and in the gameobect dropdown you'll see move gameobject to view, align gameobject with camera, etc.

Ryiah and chelnok like this.
  8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

After looking at the top three post in getting started section all by OP, I highly recommend doing the Unity tutorials. Asking basic things one at a time and waiting for replies is going to take so long that Unity 2045 will be out by the time you've made pong.

JoeStrout likes this.
  9. warrenbrandt

warrenbrandt

thanks all