Search Unity

Do you purchase music with "interruptions" on the Asset Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've noticed that some previews of music on the Asset Store have jarring sounds inserted into them. A voice might periodically say the name of the company, or there might be bleeps and bloops.

I can understand the reason; the creators don't want people stealing their music. Unfortunately, this is a big deal-breaker for me. I'm very picky about the music I get, and it's nigh impossible for me to analyze songs when there are constant interruptions. (Imagine being at a concert and someone keeps on yelling "Hamburgers!" Not exactly my idea of a stirring performance.)

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think it's a good idea for music creators to protect their work this way?

Deleted User likes this.
  2. neginfinity

neginfinity

I had to check one of such music/sfx packs. It had demo on soundcloud and every 2 seconds there was a booming voice saying "I AM A PLATIPUS! I AM A PLATIPUS! I AM A PLATIPUS!". Non-stop. It was horrible.

The funnies part? It was a free sound pack.

As far as I can tell the sane way for demoing sfx packs is inserting non-disruptive ambient music into demo reel. This will make sfx unusable while keeping listener sane.

For background music some non-terribly disruptive street noise could probably do.

Martin_H likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What happened to giving a preview that was 5-10% of the final track? Seems the most effective way for me.

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think the best example I heard had water sloshing in the background. Would definitely make it unuseable, but very unobtrusive.

Martin_H likes this.
  5. kalamona

kalamona

I don't mind this at all (except if it is super annoying).

6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I don't mind the recurring "Audio Jungle", beep or whatever is being used as a sort of audio watermark. I get why people do it just way too many folks these days who seem to think anything and everything they find online is free.

The problem with just running a low background ambience behind sound FX is they can be filtered out for the most part. Audacity makes it pretty easy to grab a "noise profile" and remove noise.

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. darkhog

darkhog

If even a sound pack tells you that you are a platypus, you might want to check if you are, in fact, a platypus. Then, if you are, think why aren't you in Australia and why do you use a computer.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Probably a secret agent working for OWCA.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

The only music I buy off the asset store is for placeholder purposes until I can figure out how the hell to budget for an actual musician. For all I care, the music could be made from autotuned armpit farts.

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

Checked.
    Nope. Not a platipus.

drewradley likes this.
  11. goat

goat

OMG! it's Tom!

12. drewradley

drewradley

Now I totally want to work that clip into a game. Perhaps a battle cry... I wonder if I can kit bash a duck and a beaver into some hideous beaverduck sort of mob..

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Having been born and raised in the glorious Willamette Valley, I can assure you a beaver duck mob is not a pleasant experience.