Search Unity

Do you need a graphics card to make games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malobeid1234, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Malobeid1234

Malobeid1234

I'm a beginner and don't think I'll make any graphics card demanding games but in the future will I need to buy a graphics card.

My System Specs:

intel core i5-3210m 2.50ghz
    4gb Ram

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. You don't need a dedicated graphics card to make games but the more complex the game you make the more demanding it will be on your hardware and you may eventually find it necessary to have one.

MadeFromPolygons and Ony like this.
  3. Ony

Ony

Challenges breed creativity. Embrace it.

admin_8C, Avador_L77, Mauri and 7 others like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think I really needed to hear/read this today, thanks.

Ony and Martin_H like this.
  5. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

Integrated graphics cards are very limited and often suffer from weak drivers. Any modern gamer, even playing on a laptop, can be expected to have some kind of dedicated GPU. IMO, most people who don't have graphics cards don't think about themselves as gamers and as a result they make poor audience. Dedicated graphics cards are VASTLY more powerful than integrated solutions which makes possible implementing much more sophisticated rendering.

6. BoogieD

BoogieD

I used an on-board integrated graphics card for a year developing a detailed fight sim/game with Unity. It worked surprisingly well but only just acceptable @ around 30~40 FPS and a limited world. I was targeting android so didn't want anything too fancy anyway and wanted the constraint. The particle system was the killer though when I wanted constant smoke trails for PC. The project has expanded and has a lot more in it so now I have a 4 gig card and things are much, much smoother at a higher res.

You could probably do with some more ram though. 4 gig is barely enough for Windows to chug along.

Martin_H likes this.
  7. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

I would say even for large 2D games, you won't need a GPU. So you are all good

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It entirely depends on the game you are making, and the platform you are targeting. You'll probably run into headaches first with that 4GB of RAM before your onboard video though.