Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Enjoy Physicality For Picking Things Up?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TheDuples, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TheDuples

TheDuples

There are a few games that do this, such as LittleBigPlanet, and Human Fall Flat, where you actually have to maneuver a character's arms to pick up objects. I think this is a really fun way to engage the player into doing mundane things, since the very act of picking something up requires effort when compared to a character simply showing an animation to pick something up. The only downsides to this that I can think of are that it is relatively hard to implement and can become unpredictable or frustrating in some situations. I am personally a fan of this sort of game-play, and am thinking of implementing it into my current project but I'd like to know other's opinion as well.

2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

The title is a bit misleading, i thought you were talking about actually using friction to hold something.

Your talking about a "regular" joint where the point is controlled by IK, don't get me wrong, it can be awesome with the right game(like lbp) or totaly destroy cgaracter control making the game unplayable

3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I agree with SparrowsNest, for some games it would be quite fun, for others it would completely break it. I tend to think of games where you control arms and limbs as sort of like surgeon simulator or QWOP. The challenge is the control, and little more. I think the biggest problem is how completely intuitive controls for such a thing could be. I think you should only rely on you doing mundane things if they make sense with your control scheme. Mario Tennis is fun with a Wii controller, it's not so much with a Pro controller.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The same people who would like to play the claw game at the arcade if it didn't give out prizes would like to play this kind of game.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Honestly, picking stuff up and using gesture based inputs for God Powers were my favourite part of Black & White

Red-Owl-Games likes this.
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Hey. That is a really good observation.:D

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@TheDuples
    In some cases yeah. And it's according to the game too. That idea tends
    to work well, in sim-like games. Or to add some character, to a game character,
    like for eg. the Little Big Planet character Sack Boy, to make him feel
    more real and alive.

Or they'll put in that mechanic, just because it sounds like a cool idea.:p

Speaking of that:
    One thing I have always noticed, about the Japanese, is that they
    would take that, "physically picking up things idea," and turn it into
    some sort of sim game, which would strangely, be successful in Japan.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    TheDuples likes this.
  8. neoshaman

neoshaman

Physicality is great when you make a center to expend the gameplay in new way, not just replace convenient options already existing, for no real reason.

Joe-Censored and Martin_H like this.