Search Unity

Do you consider yourself a geek/ anti-geek or neutral?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Aug 11, 2015.

1. XGundam05

XGundam05

He's got a monocle...of course he's cool!

2. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ummm...he is cool.

On top of that, that monocle looks powerful enough to focus sunlight into a laser; I don't think anyone should ever mess with him, otherwise he'll collimate photons so hard, they'll be bleeding rainbows for a week.

3. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Remember, cards, video games, chess, or even studying with a cute girl is much better than a formal date with a super model.

Teila, Ony and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  4. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

If anything, geeks are very secure in their life and passionate about their interest that they can enjoy them and share them with others. They can make something cool to an outsider.

Kinda like Cajuns.

AndrewGrayGames and Teila like this.
  5. Ony

Ony

Hah!

Teila likes this.
  6. antislash

antislash

my kids love to say they are geeks,just because they are stuck ti minecraft or skyrim..i don,'t consider myself a geek or something else, as i don't like to follow the sheeps or howl with the dogs, ... i have all kind of friends and the so-called geeks are kinda too exclusive, they need common codes and tend to stay with same minded people... that's often what they want : they want to be considered as different.....i like open minded and broad cultured people...the only thing i can't bear is stupidity and nastyness...

Ony likes this.
  7. XGundam05

XGundam05

The folks I've known who would be called geeks or nerds by others have been some of the most inclusive I've ever known.

At Dagorhir? We didn't care race, color, creed, gender, orientation, day job, other hobbies, education, media interests, age (as long as you were 13+ and had a legal guardian sign, or were of age to sign the consent form), body type, piercings, tattoos, hair color, etc. We just cared that you came to fight and have fun :)

Teila and antislash like this.
  8. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I heard that the guys who make League of Legends are brogrammer culture.

I have seen college aged guys who study, play WoW and hit the gym. They browse BodyBuilding.com and say "u mad bro". They are not jocks, but they are not revenge of the nerds, either

Ony likes this.
  9. yoonitee

yoonitee

Riot Games? Interesting.

BodyBuilding.com is interesting if you go on it they're all talking about philosophy and the meaning of life. Not what you'd expect! (Oh, and how to get chicks obviously).

10. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I have seen some exemplary threads. That place is hilarious and brutal.

11. Teila

Teila

Really? I guess living in the south makes this different for me. I like all sorts of people too and not all my friends are geeks, and in fact, you will find few in my age bracket. lol But compared to the common masses here, the "geeks" are the most open minded people I have met and don't judge you because of your color, gender, sexuality, religion, or the fact that you like a margarita once in a while. :) I usually know if I meet another tabletop gamer or a board gamer or a game developer, that at the very least they are going to accept me even if I don't meet the criteria's that some folks here (as in my part of the country) demand.

At least if they have a party, my son won't be looked at with disgust for bringing his magic cards..and yeah, that happened.

Not sure what kind of people you are meeting, but it isn't very open minded to see geeks as insular and close minded. I don't know the codes..whatever they are. lol But I am always welcome.

zombiegorilla and Ony like this.
  12. antislash

antislash

i think i didn't explain myself very well, English is not my native language.
    not saying geeks are not open minded , they are and thats why i feel good with them, some friends are and we have good times, even playing dice RPGs :D but yes, sometimes i feel there are "those that are geeks", and "the others", nothing bad, that happens in all kind of groups and that's why people like to identify themselves to a group....
    geeks are just like others, some can be nice, some not , right?
    and just curious .. what is your age bracket ?

Ony likes this.
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Lil bit, but they are awesome folks. They came over and held a "Riot Day", at our office. It was an all day event, we all had personal coaches, and then tournaments with live commentary. We also got a few different discussion sessions with their designers/artists/engineers. It was pretty fascinating. They spen more time on a character for their game than a lot would spend on a whole game.

frosted likes this.
  14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Ony likes this.
  15. antislash

antislash

ah ah, thanks you made it clear, it sounded kinda weird ....

Ony and Tomnnn like this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Absolutely. All groups have good and bad eggs. I think that there are lots of self identified groups..jocks, party animals, intelligentsia, the professors, the classy art lovers, the animal folks, the gamers, the game developers, the Unity crowd....

Each group comes together due to common interests and they have their own language because of this commonality.

I am old...or rather, becoming old. lol :) That is my age bracket..the "I am getting old and don't wannabe". :)

Ony, XGundam05 and antislash like this.
  17. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I'm just surprised I got to it before @Ony did.

Are you excited for a future in which people are 50%+ machine? Or do you not want to live to see that happen? Anyone over 40 I've asked this too really doesn't want to see it happen.

But it could be commercially available in a decade :D

18. antislash

antislash

@Teila tss old is all in the head... well as gaming is becoming a "not so Young" industry, so do the folks...
    being a mature developper doesn't mean you're good to dump... i think we may be in the same age bracket and it doesn't really matter, i work with any age and some don't even know of my age... nevermind (as someone famous said)

Ony likes this.
  19. antislash

antislash

funny, one of the main pitch of a personnal project is "what if suddenly humankind loose technology "
    it will happen , but i Wonder if it is a good thing tough.... (can you calculate a square root without calculators now?)

20. Teila

Teila

Nah, it doesn't matter. We were discussing geeks and I said there were few in my age bracket. That is still true...while there are some of us, many still see geek as an insult rather than a badge of honor. lol So while my friends might play monopoly and bridge and Cranium, enjoy geeky movies and read science fiction, if you ask them if they are geeks...No way, man! :)

Ony and antislash like this.
  21. antislash

antislash

nothing insulting IMO... i feel the "geek" term has been overused ,
    and according to what your friends do, then i may be called a geek.. but funny i don' define myself as a geek... perhaps because i didn't like the latest star wars series and i'm not fond of heroic fantasy :D

22. Fantastic Worlds Studio

Fantastic Worlds Studio

I'm a geek, I'll admit it. I talk Marvel movies at work, have GURPS, D&D and Pathfinder books for games I run and design and play video games.

23. tiggus

tiggus

24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This is not optional for me. ;)

25. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Of course it's a good thing if done right :D Despite the carmat claiming the lives of all of its test subjects within a year, their quality of life was through the roof. Once all the bugs are worked out I would definitely enjoy having a heart that's "in better shape than an olympian's" and has a perfect beat at all times.

I just hope I can afford all of this stuff... maybe get the banks interested in setting up a loan with me where the repayment term is 200 years :p

antislash, Kiwasi and Ony like this.
  26. Ony

Ony

Damnit I was taking a nap and missed it.

Tomnnn likes this.
  27. tiggus

tiggus

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963194/

Tomnnn likes this.
  28. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Thanks, added to my watch list. The faulty premise behind the idea is that they would repo the parts. Then they are used and lower in value, while keeping the original people alive and in debt gives them a work slave forever.

The early toaster catches the bread.

I get nervous when signals get involved. Less EMP protection, more hacker vulnerabilities. Maybe our hands can get chips like that put in them which sync with a _passwords doc in google drive!

29. Teila

Teila

You are way overthinking this. :)

30. XGundam05

XGundam05

What latest Star Wars series? There's only 3 movies, and the last was released in 1983 :p /shotsfired

jk...please, no war? ;)

I severely apologize if this derails the whole thing into the nearest ravine >.>

antislash, Ony, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  31. antislash

antislash

the 3 last ones that are to me, just a catalog of 3d puppets, oops not to offense anyone

32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Let's just say, internally, we don't consider them as source material for our games. Some of our licensed games do, usually as part of a collection mechanic. Or special cases like TT Lego games.

We're obviously fans, and I would say our opinions on the unmentioned movies is pretty similar other geeks/fans in our age range. ;)

Though we loves us some Rebels!

XGundam05 likes this.
  33. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Star Whats? Is that the old show with william shatner?
    MWahahahaha!

34. XGundam05

XGundam05

*ahem*...Trekkies and Warsians, long have we battled and contended for the dominance of our beloved universes. Many lives have been lost, many bridges burned and towns razed to the ground in a hail of turbolaser and phaser fire. But today, Today, we have a common enemy!

So brothers, sisters! Lay aside your grudges, unlock from your targets! For today we unite, if even only temporarily, against a common foe! To arms!

/Aaaand over the cliff edge >.>

35. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I cannot be defeated because I would not get the references :mad::cool:

We're in freefall until a mod comes by to catch us. Though aurore has been acting strange lately so it'll be up to hippocoder to close this thing down.

36. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So I can confirm the geek culture is alive and well in Melbourne game development. Decided to pretend to be a real dev today and went along to the arcade. Was about to walk out the door at 5pm and the guys stopped me. We played board games and video games from then till about 12:30 am. Games included resistance, coup, rocket ball, soldat, and counter strike. Apparently it's like the every Friday.

Out of interest there were almost as many girls there as boys.

Teila likes this.
  37. BFGames

BFGames

Don't define myself as anything in particular. I like making games, its one of my hobbies and my job. If that means i can be defined as a geek, well then i am a geek :) Maybe i am a professional geek then.

randomperson42 likes this.