Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Do we still need separate "Custom Package..." option for Import Package?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rz_0lento, Apr 15, 2021.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I may miss some other uses for the Import Package option. I have some faint memories from Unity 4-5 etc days when this menu entry had various Unity Standard Asset Packages for character controller etc but we haven't had those in years (?) anymore. Couldn't this just be "Import Package" entry without submenu now?

So what I'm asking here is that is this some leftover from old days and is the menu entry to for "Custom Package..." just extra annoyance nowadays? Should this be changed so we could just click Import Package directly? It's a minor thing but it's annoying when you use this functionality as I can't see any logical reason why there's that extra submenu anymore.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If they start messing with this, my bet is they remove the whole thing, moving it all to the Package Manager window :p

3. It's a minor
    Well, it's a minor inconvenience for you in case of the rare occasions when you are importing a custom package.
    Changing the menu structure would be problematic though, especially if they don't change the main menu point name...
    I imagine there are many projects out there in Studio lands where this is standard:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class TestMenu : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     [MenuItem("Assets/Import Package/Lurking Ninja...")]
    7.     private static void NinjaPackageImporter()
    8.     {
    9.         Debug.Log("Here");
    10.     }
    11. }
    screenshot1.png

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I wonder if people really do that :D But yeah I can see that possibility.
    I wish Unity would have "migrate" option for assets like Unreal does. My main use of .unitypackages is to move files with their dependencies from one unity project to another so I tend to use these menu entries for that purpose. I know I could just drag and drop the unitypackage to new project but I usually don't have file explorer pointed at the right folder to do that so it's just faster if I use this import package entry for it.

5. You can just drop the unitypackage file on the project window to import.

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Like I already wrote here :)
    Basically the key thing here is that I have to manually navigate to the folder anyway to get to the unitypackage and if I only need it for this purpose, opening up new file explorer window and later closing it is just two extra steps when I can just use the import option in the Unity menu.