Search Unity

Question Do we need to choose same package name for UDP as for our existing Google Play game?

Discussion in 'Unity Distribution Portal (UDP)' started by Petr777, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Petr777

Petr777

We already have our game in Google Play.
    Now we want to publish our game to Samsung store and Huawei store through UDP.
    Do we need to use the same package name (com.our.game) as we use for Google Play?

What are the props and cons of using same package name?
    As we understand, users will not be able to install both apps (from Google Play and from Samsung store) on their Samsung device, if apps will have the same package name.

Also Unity recommend to upload key and certificate which is used for Google Play version to avoid problems with Google Play Protect.
    Can there be problems with Play Protect if we use a different package name?

Qbit86 likes this.
  2. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

It is not necessary to use the same package name as in Google Play Store. We are recommend you to use the same package name. Most of the package will be renamed after repacking for UDP Store.

One of the pro of using the same package name and your own signing key is the avoid the problems with Google Play Protect checking.

3. metiscoda

metiscoda

From what I understand, there are two possibilities with Google Play:
    1. Use your own private signing key to sign the app (old method)
    2. (Google recommended) Use an upload key and let Google keep track of a private signing key

UDP has two choices for app signing:
    a. Use your own private signing key to sign the app - if possible use the key from (1).
    b. Let UDP keep track of your private key (may lead to Google Play Protect issues).

So it seems like we either use a method that Google is moving away from (1+a) or we use a method (2+b) that risks us getting our app blocked from third party store and having to appeal.

Is this a correct summary?

Can UDP and Google work out a solution that is acceptable to all parties and does not cause developer woes?

fredsandstorm, one-up and Zamaroht like this.
  4. metiscoda

metiscoda

From above, I'm using (2+b) for Google Play and UDP, and now Samsung Store is coming back with "Play Protect" warnings on my app. How do I solve this?

Zamaroht likes this.
  5. Zamaroht

Zamaroht

I'm facing this exact same problem, did you find a way around it?
    There is a form to appeal this with Google (https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/protectappeals), but I get a rejection email stating that they can't download my APK file. I tried different hosts, I tried dropbox and shortening my link with bit.ly, but still not working.

6. one-up

one-up

We have issues too. ¿Any solution?

7. shriffadl

shriffadl

dear my friends.
    All My Games With UDP Rejected Due To Play Protect Warning From Google Play
    and now i donnot know how to solve it. My Old And My New App.
    But It Works In Google Play Without Any Problems.

i use (1+a) and (2+a) and you use (2+b).
    and all usless.

so what to do.

8. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

Using 1+a method above should be able to solve the Play Protect warning issue.

It might still using the previous signing key because of you have repacked before uploading the new key. We can check it for you by send us more details using the support form or email to udpsupport@unity3d.com

9. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

For those who want to using 1+a method, you can use the same key which uploaded to Google Play Console for UDP Console.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 7.27.48 PM.png

10. ajeets1978

ajeets1978

We are facing a similar issue.

Does that mean that if we have to upload a Game on Samsung or Huwaei, We first need to upload it to Google Play ???

As I straightforward using the UDP to upload to all stores but not to Google yet? And what If I don't want it on Google Play Store ???