Search Unity

Do versions need to match between Learn projects and Engine?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by masterneme, Dec 30, 2020.

1. masterneme

masterneme

Hi,

I have 2019.4 & 2018.4 installed and I saw a couple of projects from Unity Learn recommending older versions, like 2019.3 & 2018.1.

Do I need to install those specific versions or are the ones I have compatible?

Thanks.

2. adamgolden

adamgolden

If it's created with the same major version, there's a good chance you won't have any issues - i.e. if it was created in 2019.1, it's probably going to be fine in 2019.4. I'd say try the closest version you have first. Install the actual version it was created with it it's not compiling / has errors you can't resolve.

However. If it's not working in a newer version of the editor, you might want to consider looking for something similar that does. There might be a better way to do the same things now and you don't want to get stuck using an old editor just for some deprecated or obsolete code to still be functional.

masterneme likes this.
  3. masterneme

masterneme

OK I'll try that, I don't want to install a dozen different editors, but I'm not familiar with Unity yet and I don't want to waste time figuring out things that could work properly with matching versions.

Thanks and happy new year!

adamgolden likes this.
  4. adamgolden

adamgolden

Happy new year :)