Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Unity Robotics simulate reflectivity in objects while using a laser scanner?

Discussion in 'Robotics' started by andrestoga, Jan 7, 2022.

1. andrestoga

andrestoga

Hi,

I want to simulate the reflectivity of objects in a simulation because I want to use a 2D laser scanner to detect certain objects that have higher reflectivity than other objects in a particular scene. I want to know if Unity Robotics support this?

I came across this blog post:

https://blog.unity.com/manufacturing/velodyne-lidar-and-unity-team-up-to-enhance-lidar-simulation

where they mention that simulations that use reflectivity is now possible within Unity’s Sensor SDK framework. Is it something that is already integrated in the Unity Robotics sim?

Best,

2. amanda-unity

amanda-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @andrestoga, thanks for the post! This isn't currently supported, but we'd love to hear more about your use case. Could you elaborate on the requirements for your project?

3. andrestoga

andrestoga

Hi @amanda-unity,

Sure, currently, in my project in order to localize an AGV in a particular room, I use reflectors which are installed at the same height as a 2D laser scanner mounted on the AGV. The intensity values that comes within the laser scanner data is used to detect reflectors. Currently, I'm reviewing Robotics Sims to see which one comes with the built-in functionality of returning reflectivity of certain objects in the 2D laser scanner data simulation. Given that you can change the reflectivity of objects in a scene, I would add cylinders with a lot of reflectivity to simulate the reflectors in real life.

4. ActiveSim

ActiveSim

Hi @andrestoga,
    when I get you right, you would like to know the beam intensity. Refelectors have higher intensity refelctions than other materials, right?
    You can build it very simple by adding a value to each material. But the UIC license with the SensorSDK has already an implementation of the intensity using the GPU to calculate the laser beams.