Search Unity

Do terrain normals add much detail to terrain heightmaps?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by ghtx1138, Jan 17, 2019.

1. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

I came across this website http://poniesandlight.co.uk/notes/creating_normal_maps_from_nasa_depth_data/ offering terrain normals for the earth. As I understand that person has processed the NASA height maps and calculated normals.

Does this help us making more detailed real world terrains? I can understand that height maps make a smooth elevation from point to point but I can't understand if a normal map would make any difference. And cant seem to find any info online.

Thanks

2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hey! Yes, it would! It doesn't necessarily add more detail to the heightmap though. Those normals will be used when performing lighting calculations which will usually lead to a more detailed rendered terrain surface.

In the context of Unity Terrain, we do this already for you in some capacity. If you have instancing enabled in your Terrain's Settings, a normal map is generated from the Terrain heightmap.

3. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

Hi @wyatttt thanks for your reply.

I don't think I understand - where do I enable terrain instancing? I am using 2018.3. I'm assuming you don't mean instancing with a prefab?

If I understand correctly - the heightmap is a relatively "smoothed" representation. Light will bounce of this like a curved surface.

The normal map is a per vertex (or per triangle?) vector calculated at 90 degrees perpendicular to the surface?

So while the heightmap is not affected by the normalmap - the normal map adds "apparent" detail by adding additional calculations to the surface on a per vertex (or per surface) basis?

So the "resolution" of the heightmap in a sense determines the resolution of the normal map because it determines the vertices (or triangles) that the interpolated normal map can use.

So would I'd be better off with a more detailed heightmap (and a smaller terrain tile size) because that gives Unity more vertices (or triangles) to play with when interpolating normals?

And I can't "overlay more detail" on a terrain with a normalmap greater than what the terrain base-level vertices (or triangles) allow me? (no free lunch)

Thanks - I am not an expert and have probably got a lot of this all muddled - please let me know if I can clarify my ideas. Cheers.

4. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

I am so blind :eek:

DrawInstanced.png

5. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Ideally this would be enabled by default. Possibly something we do in the future

6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Yes, more or less. With instancing, the normal map will add detail per pixel/texel that is drawn. Without instancing, normals are per vertex/face and are generated based on the output geometry instead of the heightmap. I believe there is a 1 to 1 mapping in resolution from heightmap to normal map. I'll have to double check

This is why with instancing enabled, you might get the same geometry output as non-instanced Terrain but the amount of "surface" detail is preserved because of the use of the normal map in lighting calcs

7. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

Thanks @wyatttt for your detailed reply. Cheers

8. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

No problem!