Search Unity

do reflection probes blend?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 26, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

like light probes
    or do they pop?
    i can only find the setting for light probes

2. bgolus

bgolus

If you're talking about the setting on the renderer component for Light Probes, it's literally the next line after that.

By default they blend, fading between the closest and next closest probe (based on the probes' bounds). It only ever blends between two probes at a time. Generally this is done by sampling each probe individually in the shader, though I think it used to be done by pre-blending the probes into a new temporary cubemap for each object, and might still be for mobile?

If an object's bounds are fully inside the bounds of a reflection probe and outside of any other probe's bounds it'll only be sampling a single probe. If you only have a single probe, and use the "Blend Probes" option it won't blend to the skybox and will be a hard snap. Use "Blend Probes And Skybox" to get around that and it'll blend to the skybox when moving out of the influence of any reflection probes.

That's what it does for forward rendering at least. Deferred works a bit differently, and each reflection probe is rendered into the scene as a deferred lighting-like pass and the setting on the object doesn't matter ... it might not even show if your project is set to use deferred?

laurentlavigne likes this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

that's why it's not in the setting, i'm in deferred mode