Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Do planes and cubes interact with other rigid bodies in the same way?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Jayjayfast, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Jayjayfast

Jayjayfast

So,

I know this is such a beginner question.

To give context, I've spent the last few days practicing with shaders and materials. I have build a 3D internal structure, out of planes, that I am very happy with. But, when I've inputted my player's placeholder, currently a 3d capsule, it passes through the planes.

Both the capsule, and the planes, all have both rigid bodies and colliders attached.

Neither has kinetic or gravity ticked.

I am using .MovePosition to move the placeholder's rigid body.

Now, do I have to start again and replace my planes with cubes, or is there another armature mistake I could be making?

Thankyou for your time.

2. arkano22

arkano22

Planes are infinitely thin. Cubes are not.

This means that it's easier to pass trough a plane than it is to pass trough a cube. If your character moves fast enough for its collider to move to the other side of the plane in a single frame, then no collision detection will take place. This common effect in all game engines is called tunneling, and is a consequence of how computers treat quantities in a discrete (as opposed to continous) way.

You might want to use continuous collision detection.

3. Jayjayfast

Jayjayfast

Thankyou for the reply,

I had a feeling that is was going to be something like that.

I think I'm just going to have to rebuild my house, out of bricks this time, I guess.

4. Jayjayfast

Jayjayfast

For what its worth the continuous collision detection did work, to a point, but only if I reduced the speed of the player sufficiently.

It will be better in the long run to start over and do it with thicker walls.

Thanks again

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If this is a Dynamic body (presumably what you meant when you said not "kinetic" (Kinematic?) then you shouldn't really be using a Kinematic movement on it. In 3D physics "MovePosition" and "MoveRotation" cause a Dynamic body to instantly be repositioned at the specified position. You should be using forces or velocity for move Dynamic bodies. Then you'll find continuous works.