Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do others experience crashes as much as I do?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by The-Little-Guy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

Does anyone else have the issue where Unity randomly crashes? Mine seems to crash very often that I wonder how there is a thread about games created with unity on linux... they must be experiencing a lot of crashes to make a game on linux...

For example in the inspector I click on a GameObject field the window opens and Unity crashes (but not every time). Come to think of it, most of my issues seem to happen when I interact with the inspector. It will crash sometimes but other times doing the exact same thing it does not...

I am running the following:

Operating System: Ubuntu 15.10 (x86-64)
    Cinnamon Version: 2.6.13
    Linux Kernel: 3.13.0-43-generic
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6
    Memory: 8Gib
    HD: SSHD 120GB
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti

2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I usually experience crashes when closing certain windows in the editor (such as the color picker or curve editor). I try to always save before closing a window, to avoid loosing progress. They're pretty frequent, but I don't recall any crashes unrelated to this issue.

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Disclaimer - I develop on windows so take these words with a grain of salt.

Ya gotta keep in mind that with such a variety of nix distros out there, some will work better than others and are more thoroughly tested. I'd imagine Ubuntu has to be high on the list of distros they try out, but if your having issues maybe update to a later version of ubuntu, or try another entirely different distro. I wonder if unity runs on kali linux haha.

4. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

After posting this, I found the Nvidia X Server Settings Program and under OpenGL Settings I changed Image Settings to High Quality. I don't know if that did anything but I haven't had any crash issues so far...

5. kborch

kborch

I have had a bunch of crashes as well, as far as I can tell it is either when I've been reordering tabs or docking windows inside the editor.

Or, consistently if I switch to a different workspace and back to the one where Unity is running, it crashes and for some reason the crash report never comes up in this case. However, if the Unity window does not have focus, if another window is on top in that workspace, say MonoDevelop, it doesn't crash. I'm running XFCE and I know it is not the primary target, but I will submit a bug report here on the forum anyways.

6. Sisso

Sisso

I have a lot of crashes while was experimenting what is working on linux.

There is some stuff like dock windows that cause a lot of crash. But appear to have reduced a lot in last releases. But very few crashes while working. Crashes don't even bother me anymore.

I am in a Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. I always have bad experiences with Ubuntu non LTS.

7. Cygon4

Cygon4

I've been using Unity Linux almost exclusively since September and have had no crashes so far. My only problem is that I can't do lighting builds (almost certainly because my CPU doesn't support SSSE3 which someone found its way into Enlighten on Linux).

Running Gentoo Linux on AMD64, KDE4, NVidia drivers.