Search Unity

Do more animations on a animator affect performance?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by LightVelox, May 30, 2020.

1. LightVelox

LightVelox

I'm currently working on a open source game about space station roleplay, i'm not really knowledgeable about animations so i'm curious weather i should play animations dynamically via script or if it's better to just have all of them in the animator, the pro of the former is that i can code a system to use only like 5 animation states for all possible animations, but i'll need to find a good way to network that for everyone, the pro of the last is that i don't need to do anything, the network will automatically network any animation state to other players, my problem is that i have no idea weather or not it can have a impact on performance, i'm asking that cause since it's a open source game it's possible to have like 1000 animations in a near future or something, so i need to think a little bit ahead, so my questions is:
    Will having thousands of animation states on a single animator affect performance? more cpu usage, ram usage?, Is it better to have a custom system that play animations called on script? (dynamically changing the animationState.clip)