Search Unity

Do memory usage affect FPS? Mobile

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by resetme, Feb 23, 2019.

1. resetme

resetme

Hi,

I know is better to test but,
    Do memory usage affect game FPS ?

For example Android phones with less than 2gb of memory should use 500mb at maximum for games (after 500mb game crash).

But what if my game go around 480mb? It will affect my FPS? Before the memory warming the device start changing cpu/gpu clock speed and moving system memory to get more free space, right?

hopetolive likes this.
  2. Sluggy

Sluggy

That is a very deep rabbit hole with the possibility of many, very nuanced, highly situational, answers. But the very short answer is: yes. Memory usage affects performance. However, that give absolutely no useful information in regards to what you should do for any given situation.

If you have a specific problem with performance or memory usage then it would be best to run the profile and post the results here so that someone can actually help you find a specific solution to your specific problem. If on the other hand your just curious about the nature of memory management on Android platforms in general I'd suggest you take a look at this link.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/best-practices/android-memory-management

It won't be able to give you a lot of very specific information because of the complex and situation nature of it all but it might at least give you a little more background information for future decision making.

hopetolive likes this.